Pages

Sunday, October 21, 2007

It often happens that a man is more humanely related to a cat or dog than to any human being. - Henry David Thoreau

As the heading indicates this is a family post, with pictures for the relos down under - to any other happless reader. Stiff


It was my 45th birthday last week, and my true and trusted nephew Maggi was oh so generous and took the family out to dinner, that being me, mum, my brother (his dad) my sister in law, my other nephew Gunni (Maggi's brother) Þórgunnur (Gunni´s wife) and their son Aron - my grandnephew... Makes me feel old typing that. Anyway, we had dinner at Kaffi Krók, one of the two restaurants here in S'krók. Jón the chef did a special meal for us - his instructions being make it fish for main. So we had raw smoked goose with mozzarella and balsamic YUMMMMM, followed by monk fish - totally amazing fish which is a lot like lobster in substance and taste - truly delish, with a creamy mushroom sauce and for desert Jon´s famous chocolate cake - that contains no flour - just choclaty goodness - probably some eggs and it is heavenly - served with whipped cream and strawberries. Needless to say none of us lost any weight that night!

Aron, my grand nephew and his dad... He was such a good boy - ate his fish and the biggest bowl of icecream I have ever seen served up for a 3 year old.

Mum bought me these lovely yellow roses that are still standing one week later - they even smell! or should I say have a fragrance!
After the meal and all the good folks went home and to bed, Maggi came to my place as did a couple of other friends and we went down the road to the local where Papar were playing - this meant DANCING and a general good good time.
This weekend was also action packed last night a good friend had her 30th birthday to which she invited me and mum and Maggi. Her parents were also there, her two sisters, boyfriend, brother in law and my cousin Sirrí and. For her birthday Maggi was sent on a shopping expedition to Ikea's kitchen ware section where he proceeded (with some help from me) choosing all those things that we all know we need but always forget to get, small hand grater, garlic press, teflon utensils, baking dishes and most importantly red wine and beer glasses.
Today, it was the monthly family feast day, where the relos in the village on my dads side get together and do what we like doing best - eat!

Mum, my aunt, mums friend Magga and Maggi

Eating, Ingvi, Kristófer, Eyrún and Guðný

the desert - a classic, berries on top of kokós bollur - heated gently in the oven - served with vanilla icecream. the people from left - Finnur Alexander, Jóhanna, Steina and Rúna

The best shot of the night - Freyja, mum and my uncle Bjössi - see how they love that dog!

So all in all it has been a good week in S´krók, despite the fact that the clock let another digit fall.
Oh yeh, on the menu tonight (apart from the berry desert). Red, green and yellow Thai curries, satay chicken, sweet chili chicken wings, marinated lamb fillet, sweet and sour chicken stir fry, cucumbers in sour cream an amazing fresh salad that Jóhanna made (with sweet peas, baby corn, sesame seeds, cashews, lettuce, riccola, capsicum and loads of other yummy stuff) Twas not bad - even if I say so myself - total present 14. Next month its at mums, as we are having it to remember ourgrandfather who was born on the 17th of November and our grandmother, who died on his birthday... (mum lives in their old house), so family - if you happen to be here - the more the merrier.

4 comments:

Maja said...

AAaaargh! I missed it. Sooo sorry. Happy birthday... for last week. I'm so embarrassed.

I'm glad you had a good time. I can't believe Papar are still going.. but then again maybe I can. They were pretty great.

hugshugshugshugshugshugshugshugs!

tsduff said...

family, food, spirits... more food... more dessert... more spirits... family... what more could a person want or need? I love reading your stories, about your get togethers,.. wonderful!!! cheers!~!!!

Northern musings said...

Thanks duff - its about all we do here when the darkness sets in - eat, drink and be cheery...

tsduff said...

I do love how you Icelanders always dress up for the occasion. Upon my very first visit to Iceland, my Sweetie warned me that this would be the case, so I dug about in the bottom of my bag for anything that looked fancy... we were mostly prepared for camping out. Sheesh! Thank goodness for that crinkly skirt I packed...