Pages

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing. ~William James

The wine master at work.  This batch is rather good, possibly a little too good.  A few bottles were consumed last night at a combined family Þorrablót.

 This time my cousins Jóhanna and Herdís combined forces and invited the families to join us in a feast of salted and smoked meat, rotten shark, sheeps heads and dried fish.  Jóhanna is my cousin on my father's side (dads eldest brothers daughter) and Herdís is my cousin on my mum's side (the daughter of one of my mums younger sisters)
 The food table with mum and Jóhanna in deep discussion...
 The Akrar family - somehow managed to cut Sirrí in two... sorry....
 Vicki put on a brave face and came to meet the people rather than eat the food!
 Maggi and Olga.  Maggi is probably the only one in the family that actually really really likes this food!
 And ofcourse once the food was eaten, drinks drunk, songs sung, someone has to tidy up - they did such and amazing job - a great night and I think the start of a new tradition.
Maggi having a good sniff of the rotten shark - as you can see there was quite a bit left....
This week is the last week of Þorri - then the month of Góa starts with Konu dagur - the day of women.... I like Góa.  It also means that winter is on it's way out.


Have a great week everyone!

2 comments:

Maja said...

Do you remember how much Valdi was loving the shark in Iceland in 2006? He would have finished that bowl off, I reckon.

I like the sour foods when they are super sour and you can't tell what they originally tasted like :)

Northern musings said...

The sour foods are the best especially the rams balls, I think what I like best is the fact that it is a time of people getting together and having fun, making fun of one another - it probably started as a way of releasing winter /cabin fever tensions that were rising high in the country communities - everyone is fair game and you have to laugh.