Pages

Thursday, February 23, 2012

The greatest love is a mother's; then a dog's; then a sweetheart's. ~Polish Proverb

My life may be complete...

In other news.,.. the dog fight.  I took Freyja for a walk the other day and we met up with another female dog in the neighborhood.  They had met the day before outside my house, when Freyja was on a leash in the garden, they seemed to get on - ie no barking, biting or fighting, so I figured that maybe she would be ok.... Well, I guessed wrong, so she and said dog got into it, when the leash that I had somehow broke and so Freyja went for it - big time.

Next scene me - holding Freyja by the collar and turning her around and around to keep her out of reach of the other dog, whose carers saw fit to screech and run for the hills when Freyja went into attack mode.

Next scene, the folks in the house next door to where we were came running out to help... Thankfully one of them is a colleague from work, she grabbed the other dog and took it to the owners, while I stood there with Freyja held by the collar up in the air... Am amazed I hadn't choked her to death...


She felt so sorry for herself, as did I.... I am such a bad dog owner.

After a few days of gunk coming out from her eye she was ok.  Things weren't made better by her being on heat...  She is not happy with being indoors and leaves her scent wherever she can..

In other news, it's gst, vat, whatever valued added tax time you have in your country... well it's that time for farmers which means that work is quite busy - which is good.  Politics is politics and I realise yet again why I hadn't gone into it before.  Grandstanding and pontificating people really piss me off.  We are a small community and should be working together to try and get things done, not looking for a platform to make oneself bigger than one is... URGH.

I also said I would tell about mum and my trip in June, we are going on a river cruise... from Strassbourg in France to Amsterdam along the Rhine... http://www.baendaferdir.is/baendaferdir/sumar/sumar-2-fljotasigling_a_rin is the link for those that can read Icelandic.  It's fully booked.... probably because 14 members of my family are going.... It started with me and ma, I told ma's sister maja about it - thought it might be nice to have her and her hubby along... He wasn't interested but she was - so two of her daughters and a son in law said yes... We were six, then another sister heard about it.... and another.... we were eight, then the children of the elder sister heard about it... we became 14.

It will be a trip of a lifetime...  I will take mum's dictaphone with me.. I really should update my camera so I can capture the moments as they happen.  

No more silly eating seasons ahead.  All we can look forward to is that the sun is shining earlier every day and setting later... This is the best time of the year!  Also we have had some snow and no winds for almost two days.....  Wonderful wonderful winter weather, and you can almost guarantee that there are northern lights happening somewhere - if not outside my front door!

take care folks... life is good and can only get better!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're not a bad dog owner! Your dog was leashed, so you were being the responsible one. I love that people are able to keep their dogs outside in their yards and not on chains/in a pen, however, this really sucks when Portia and I try to go walking and they have belligerent dogs, so I know how you feel!

Looking forward to the photos of your trip :)

judith said...

I think sometimes when a dog is off lead they think they have to either protect their master or show that they are the dominate dog, which if she was in heat she may have been doing, female dogs who haven't been spade will defend their dominance. Like Glenna said, you were being responsible with having her on lead. Dog psychology is so fascinating. Do you ever watch The Dog Whisperer series? He has so many good practices. So sorry that she was injured.

The cruise sounds awesome. I can't wait to hear about it.

northern musings said...

thanks for that you two - made me feel a little better about myself. I have the added problem that dogs come under my responsibility in the council.... am re-writing some of the by-laws about dog ownership and registration... well am going to re-write....
Yep the trip will be interesting. Mum her 3 sisters (ages from 91 - 75 or something), they are all very fit and don't look their age. The kids tagging along - the youngest is 1 or 2 years younger than me (48/49)... and the eldest is 66... yep will definitely be posting about this.... must remember to write a diary!

judith said...

Does your community have a dog park? We have them all over the US. People just turn their dogs loose in one big yard to learn to play together. Kind of like what the dogs did the first time they met off lead.

Anonymous said...

The cruise sounds amazing. As ever, you Icelanders make family seem so worth it!

northern musings said...

No we don't it's something I have been trying to get sorted out within our committee. There is a Dog beach - which is actually privately owned - but public access, where most people take there dogs. But even going there other folk get upset as it's not well known that this beach isn't a part of the town and therefore is not governed by the by laws.
Yep, the cruise will be amazing.... and yeh we do family pretty good - we are still just as disfunctional as others...

Maja said...

I'm going to say it: Freyja is kind of a naughty dog... why don't you get her spayed, anyway?

I love the dog whisperer!