Pages

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

If you open that Pandora's box you never know what Trojan 'orses will jump out. Ernest Bevin 1949

 The dog was quite content when I got back from the Rhine trip, here she is being her usual self, asleep on the pillows and blanket on the lounge.
 Just a few days later we had a farewell dinner for Olga, Ross and the dude.... boy do I miss him and them!  But I know that they are having a fantastic time in Aus with family and friends..... but like I said to Ross - hopefully not too good a time!
 Henry had everyone's attention at dinner.
 Then, a few days later I flew off to Brussels, the EU had invited all the elected members of town councils and civil servants to come to Brussels to learn about the workings of the EU (the mail was sent to all elected officials as well as those working for town councils in Iceland, 45 people decided to take the invititation - I was one of them).  My bag decided to stay a little longer in Copenhagen, as did the bags of most of the contingent that flew via Denmark, thankfully mine was one of seven that was delivered on the night that we arrived...... The above photo was from lunch on day 1.  The programme was fairly heavy, had lots and lots of people giving presentations on their areas of involvement in the EU.  It was really interesting - and I did learn alot.  More about Icelanders and the fact that although there are good reasons to be in the EU, there are also many many more against us being there.....
 My room at the hotel had the added bonus of having a balcony - by the second evening I realised that I really didn't have to take the 5 minute journey out to the lobby and outside to smoke.... I could close the balcony door and thereby prevent the smell of smoke from entering.
 Night and day shots from my little balcony  Brussels was quite surprising in the number of bars and restaurants and how many people were out and about enjoying themselves on a "school" night.  Mind you, I figure that if you work in Brussels you probably need to be able to rewind and relax on a daily basis.
 We had lots and lots of presentations, these were never in the same room..... so we got to see quite a bit of the infrastructure that is a part of the huge bureaucracy that is the EU.  The importance of having good lobbyists was not lost on me.  How Iceland is going to have an influence on anything is beyond me, especially if we don't have the right people in the right jobs.  This country is unfortunately too small and all too often the jobs go to the "boys" and not to the person best equipped to do the negotiations...  Maybe I am being too harsh, but really - based on who we sent for the first Icesave negotiations and his "I just couldn't be bothered anymore" result - well it makes me wonder.
 The European Parliament, the legislative power of the EU, impressive building, but the question it raised was - who would we elect - with which parties would they align - will they have any influence at all????
 Not bad in terms of seating and gadgets, there was a committee meeting of the economics lot - discussing Greece .....
 Some folk from the fjord next to ours.... Am worried that the dairy farmer on the left had maybe lost the plot.... Farmers in Iceland are generally against joining the EU....  I question whether this is for the right reasons....  again, it depends on how well the negotiation team does - our agricultural industry does need reforms and changes, but is now the right time to join a group that can not at the moment control the current members???
 One thing our contingent did and did well - was shop.  I have to report that I bought nothing, tried shopping once, but wasn't in the mood, so H&M Brussels did not profit from me.
 There was a park just down the road from the Hotel.... really rather nice, in many ways Brussels is quite a pleasant city and as I said to my colleague - if I was fifteen years younger I would have been looking for opportunities here in terms of work and career.
 My balcony from the other side....
 Going home - finally, I must admit that age is really starting to get to me, once upon a time I loved to travel and go on business trips or any trip - it really didn't matter - these days I would just rather be at home.
 And coming home was excellent - the day after we arrived was the start of Lummudagar, the local town festival that began 3 years ago (or was it four), nevermind, I hosted the street party this year and as always the family came too!  Cousin Rúna lives in the street so she and Helgi sent out the invitations, the turn out was actually quite good.  Met neighbours that I have never spoken to before - good stuff.
 Big brother was in town helping Maggi build a patio out the back, here he is with Stebbi /married to cousin Guðný.  They are both of the same vintage...  cool dudes..
 Helgi and Rúna Birna.... soon to be parents - they just look sooo cute!
 Steindór from down the road, me and Silla my across the path neigbour... She is brilliant!
 Later my cousin Þórólfur came ..... we had briefly met at Kastrup airport - he on his way from Sweden to Iceland - to play in lots of band during the weekend - me on my way to Brussels.
 He brought and mum and sister with him to my place.... twas a good night.
 One does what one can to decorate.
 The weather was just perfect.... actually it could have been a little warmer - but hey... twas still good.
 hmmm, mushrooms, onions, arctic char, lamb, grilled tuna - all good!
 and lovely company - this is the Saturday night and the street party in Árni and Maggi's street.
 It was lopa peysa weather (woolly jumper), but still really rather nice.
 Maggi and Árni obviously had things to discuss....
 Óli Begga put on his yellow dressing gown - the theme colour of their neighborhood.
 Guðný came up and made the evening!
Yep, life is good, today is Wednesday and since the weekend all I have seemed to do is attend meetings, one after the other, I know that I should be doing more both at work and at the council - so many things still not done and Iceland is heading into Summer mode.... ie not many people about and not many people actually interested in working (unfortunately I am one of those).... I really need to kick myself up the bumb and get a grip and become productive......   Till next time.....  

6 comments:

Unnur said...

Very interesting post and I love the pictures. No EU for Iceland I believe. Henry is wonderful in Australia.

Unnur said...

Very interesting post and I love the pictures. No EU for Iceland I believe. Henry is wonderful in Australia.

Anonymous said...

This post was full of interesting stuff! Keep us up to date on Iceland and the EU, please. I'm sure Freyja is glad you're home :)

Knute Rife said...

I've had this conversation with Alda Sigmundsdóttir over at Iceland Weather Report, and I don't expect to change my position any time soon. Iceland should not join the EU, and not just because of the EU's obvious problems. The only thing that has kept Iceland from having to sell itself like Greece and Ireland is a sovereign currency. The ISK may be weak, but at least it's controlled from Reykjavik, not Brussels or Berlin.

Knute Rife said...

I've had this conversation with Alda Sigmundsdóttir over at Iceland Weather Report, and I don't expect to change my position any time soon. Iceland should not join the EU, and not just because of the EU's obvious problems. The only thing that has kept Iceland from having to sell itself like Greece and Ireland is a sovereign currency. The ISK may be weak, but at least it's controlled from Reykjavik, not Brussels or Berlin.

Krystyna said...

Very nice familly blog.