Pages

Friday, January 18, 2008

Its a sad sad day in S´Krok

Then (photo from Héraðskjalasafn Sauðárkróks)
Last night (photo from skagafjordur.com)
Mum phoned last night at 2am to check to make sure I was in bed as the restaurant Kaffi Krok was burning. Why check to see if I am safe and in bed - well this amazing house is my favourite watering hole in S´Krok had it been a Friday night I would probably have been there.
The house was built in 1887 and is of significant historical and cultural value to the town and to all the people that live here.
It was a horrible sight this morning when I took the dog for a walk. Such total devastation, I feel so sorry for Jon the proprietor, he had put so much work into building up the place into a thriving business. I wonder now too, what will happen to all the people that were employed there.
All I hope is that the insurance and conservation folk will get together and help rebuild it to how it once was as the streetscape in S´krok just won´t be the same without it.

3 comments:

tsduff said...

I'm so glad YOU are okay. But I feel your pain looking at that fire. History is gone with such devastation. But it can be rebuilt, and I hope it will be. It looks like it was a neat place. I had a housefire in 1998 - my home (it had been my Grandparents' home) burned when my daughter left a candle burning and the wind blew it over... we rebuilt and still live there today.

Maja said...

I just heard about it from Mum, Dad, Valgeir and Bugga who were here having coffee just minutes ago. What a shame! I hope they rebuild it, too.

Northern musings said...

I walked passed there tonight and Jon the owner was with the police looking around - I don´t think that he has been given access to it as yet - probably still waiting for the insurance to get their paper work done. Every indication is that it was well insured but even so alot of memories and stuff you can never replace went up in smoke, including doors that were fingerpainted by one of the previous residents. (I don´t need to mention that she was "special")