Pages

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright


Went for a walk yesterday on Tindastóll, with my cousin Egill, his wife Ragnheiður, mum and the dog. The car was parked at the base of the ski lift on Tindastóll and mum walked a lot further than she has done for a long long time. She had norwegian walking sticks with her, which she said made all the difference.

This is a view from just after mum returned to the car - the farm houses you can see in the distance are Tunga - the farm where mum grew up and is now farmed by two of my uncles.
This is my cousin Egill, with if you look carefully a view of the village below. This was as high as we went, we were almost at the top - but lets face it, I was buggered, so Egill said that this would do. Nice view - better if it hadn´t been so foggy and the rain didn´t help.

Both on the way up and on the way down there were these areas of fluorescent green moss - they were surrounding the area where water was coming out of the mountain. Nothing like seeing where our "pure mountain" water comes from.

All in all it was a good day. Next weekend Maggi and I are doing the walk in Austurdal. Its two days of walking. We leave friday afternoon by bus from Varmahlíð to Grána - a hut in the mountains, (there isn´t enough room in the hut for all the walkers - so Maggi and I are camping... brrr), then Saturday is a 25 km hike to the next hut at Hildarsel, Sunday is a hike down to Árbæ and Skatastaðir where the bus picks us up and takes us to a hot pot at Bakkaflöt. at the moment we are trying to organise our backpacks, tent and food (yes we have to carry all our food with us....)
I was trying to find a map of the area on google, but there does not seem to be one on the net. Once the walk is completed I should be able to source one and will post photos and a map. this is assuming that I do make it - my short walk yesterday certainly had an effect on some muscles, but I am told that the majority of this walk will be down hill - just hoping that the weather is nice - not too cold, not too hot and definitely NOT wet!

1 comment:

tsduff said...

Is your walk this weekend? How fabulous! I love the picture with the farms in the distance. The mossy picture is so cool and unusual. I love moss. My Bear actually brought home a lump of lava with a nice healthy patch of moss covering the top. It lived for about a year in our yard... I think the heat killed it. We watered it with distilled purified water, but that wasn't enough. *sigh* Good luck on your walk and campout - it sounds like a great time.