Pages

Sunday, January 18, 2009

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea. ~Isak Dinesen


I went for a walk with the dog on Saturday down to the sands by the mouth of the river. It was an incredibly beautiful day, cold but no wind. On the sands we found a lot of ice that had been swept on shore. The ice is formed on the river and is then sent back to shore by the ocean currents. It is amazing the beauty that nature can form.

A pity my photography is lacking...

so pretty

It didn´t hurt that the ground was covered in a little snow and again - no wind. It is amazing what a difference that makes to a day here in the north. This is Tindastóll - mountain chair - that hovers over our little town.

To the south is Mælifell, and the sun. It doesn´t get much higher than this during this time of year. The picture is taken just after midday.

And my favourite view of the island Drangey.

Life is good.

8 comments:

Jolea said...

The ice is BEAUTIFUL!!!!

judith said...

That is so amazing. So how cold was it when you were out walking?

Maja said...

I had a look at the webcam yesterday and the town looks so much better with a smattering of snow.

Love the reflection of sky in the pond. And those iceblocks are awesome!

olga said...

Aw, it all looks so good! Glad you had a good day.

Also, I love your title quote.
x

Margarita Mirasol said...

What absolutely beautiful photos. You be careful not to slip and wind up with a pair of thick lips, like what our Sailor Wench did down in Florida.
;)

tsduff said...

Can you hear my sigh of contentment all the way from California? Your photos are beautiful - and capture the essence of what you try to tell us in your words.

I did have to copy the quote about eating and dying to add to my quote collection. Very funny - sad but true.

Northern musings said...

It was around minus 5°C or thereabouts, not that cold and again - as there was no wind it was quite nice - I was wearing my big doona coat. Thanks for the nice words, even a crap photographer like me can´t really blow it when nature serves up such a treat

Maja said...

Okay I'd like to hear your take on the way things are going in iceland now. Your pictures are beautiful but it's time for a new post thanks! xox