Pages

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Eat right, exercise regularly, die anyway. ~Author Unknown


Came home early today to go to the docs to get some penicilin to stop the sore throat from happening - I have had a bit of a cold for about a month and in the last few days it has decided to flare up and give me a blocked nose, blocked ears and aforementioned tickly throat. Not to worry - it will pass as it always does.

Now some folk asked about the Icelandic horse and whether we eat them. Short answer yes.
http://freyjadog.blogspot.com/2008/10/lovely-horse-is-always-experience-it-is.html was a previous blog that I did on this subject after having gone out to a "horse feast".

In Viking times the eating of the horse was a very important part of any feast, so when the catholics took over they banned the consumption of horse saying that it was a sign of heathenism. So for a couple of centuries Icelanders starved rather than eating their horses. Horses have played an extremely important role in icelandic history and still do today. They are unique in that they have not been mixed with any other breed, they are hardy, live to a great age (in horse terms) and were extremely important in agriculture referred to as the nations most important servant. Today they are bred for either riding or eating. It´s a fact of life - like cattle/cows are bred for meat or milk, sheep for meat or wool.

Some interesting sites for information on the horse and what is happening in relation to it's development as a separate industry (tourism, hobby, export) are http://en.eidfaxi.is/ a general site in english for Icelandic horse enthusiasts. http://www.skagafjordur.is/default.asp?cat_id=1635 unfortunately only in Icelandic and still under development - this is the site for the Historical centre for the Icelandic horse.

Enough on horses - as my niece Maja said - they are great for riding, cuddling and eating....

9 comments:

Old Knudsen said...

I am more amazed that Maja is yer niece than eating horses, the French (Catholics) have been doing it for centuries. I'm not going to get into the whole Christian taking over pagan stuff as their own as I have been converted and perverted more times than you've had hot dinners. I would be interested in the Icelandic word history behind the middle English word 'Warlock' as I have this whole theory about the Icelandic deity Loki with whom I feel a great affinity for. The Norse pantheon would be so vanilla without him/her.

I don't know why more people don't eat dogs and cats. This Asian couple moved to America and thought that animal shelters were a great place to shop for cheap dog food.
Pets, children and fat people will be my food at the end of the world.

Don't get me started on Balder.

Maja said...

Ah the sweet icelandic horse!

Northern musings said...

Ah Loki, poor misunderstood Loki, he was just a fun guy, caused trouble where he knew trouble could be caused... we could go on and on and on.
I wouldn´t eat a dog or cat as they lick their genitals, horses, cows and sheep are anatomically not able to do this....

tsduff said...

Hope the throat feels better sooner rather than later. Happy New Year to you and the pup ;)

judith said...

haha... "I wouldn´t eat a dog or cat as they lick their genitals," good enough reason for me. Every culture has it's on 'specialty food' ya'll have horse, the Arabic have camel. We just so happen to eat cattle, pigs, sheep, goats, chickens...etc. When it comes down to starvation, you eat what you have too. The Donner Party....

olga said...

When we were in Iceland in September, we went to the museum in Reykjavik, and there was some info about one of the many famines they've had... Anyway, one of the quotes was that Icelanders were so hungry they were reduced to eating shoe leather, hide blankets and even horses!

I like that eating horse is the most outrageous one. I'd definitely eat my pet pony before I started on my shoes!
x

Old Knudsen said...

I would lick my genitals if I could I don't see anything but a cruel joke from God there.

How about this we only eat the dogs and cats that are not cute.

ZUBA said...

My sister told me about the Icelandic horses. She's very fond of them and Irish donkeys. Don't know if she's eaten them though. I wonder if they taste anything like roo meat.

Oh, and you're more than welcome to use the post for yer essay. :)
Got an email from the island's tourism minister about the posts actually. Apparently all locals who read it said it was "sad but true".

Northern musings said...

Zuba, horse does taste a little like roo. Well thats what the folks here said when I gave them roo meat for dinner last year. We were all trying to find a description and most agreed, foal and roo are pretty much the same in texture and flavour.