Pages

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Friendship isn't a big thing - it's a million little things. ~Author Unknown

Another trip down memory lane and this time to give thanks to the friends that we have made on the way... however, this trip will be devoted to my first ever bestest friend Tracy. She doesn't read this blog, but that doesn't matter...

We first met in 1971, she had move from Fremantle to Maddington, I was moving between schools. Having been in Aus for 2 years they changed the lines between the schools "pooling" areas so the district line changed by one street and I move schools from Gosnells to Maddington, where I met my best friend Tracy.
A
This is a photo of us and her younger sister Greer. I was twice Tracy's size even back then...
This was taken on my eigth birthday, There is only one person I am not sure of and that is the girl second from the left in the front, otherwise, its from left and back is Jenny, RĂ³sa, Tracy, Jannette, me. front ???? Julie and Paul... Of the people in this photo I know what has happened to Tracy, me, Julie and Paul... that's 50% - I would think that isn't bad after 40 years.
Tracy, Janette and I had decided at an early age that we would travel to the countries of our forefathers, Janette was from New Guinea, Tracy's forefathers were from Scotland and Germany, and hey I was obviously from Iceland. As things turned out Janette moved back to Darwin so when the time came for us to go on our great expedition it was just me and Tracy. I still am amazed by our parents belief in us... we were only 17 hardly capable of looking after ourselves, but we had each other and were going to a fairly known environment - there would be family and friends to make sure that we didn´t end up on the street. So here we are at the airport about to depart - to see us off are friends from High School of which only one is now a friend on facebook...

Our stay in Iceland was an amazing adventure - there I was trying to show Tracy the best of what I had imagined my heritage was... Sometimes it met expectations often it fell short. However, I must say that this first trip forged the beginnings of friendships that would stand me in good stead for the rest of my life. I don' t think that neither Tracy nor I regret this "gap" year. We grew up, learnt to be semi independent, learnt things about family dynamics that we had never before encountered. We realised how different we were, but despite that - that we could still get on. For a while we didn´t need to speak... a look in the eye was enough to say what needed to be said.
We worked in a fish factory, Tracy on the packing - refined side. me in the machine room - not so refined.... We travelled with a tent on a bus... we were trekkers... My family loved her. All my uncles and aunts were trying to match her up with one cousin or another, my Grandfather couldn't understand her wanting to get married - afterall he said... women can now be artificially inseminated - no need for a man. (it was the most difficult translation of a conversation that I have ever had to do... and yet at the same time the most enlightening... who would have thought that my staid grandfather had been thinking about these things). I think that both Tracy and I look back at those 10 months with very fond memories.
This photo was taken on our arrival back in Perth, 10 months older, 18 years old thinking that we had been there and done that! Happy to be at home but at the same time thinking, oh my god... we are moving back home to mum and dad....
but as you can see - we were happy back in Aus.. This was taken at a 1st of december Christmas get together with Icelanders in Perth.
After our return we first moved home with the folks, I went to Uni and then later we share the best ever house in the world in Cottesloe, only 1 minute from one of the nicest beaches in Perth. We share there for 3 years before I moved back to Iceland for a 2 year break from reality. Our days in Cott were the best of years, Jeff our other share renter was a friend from primary school and our bestest friends were constant visitors. While there we grew up even more, some of our friends married, some of us began our first significant relationships whilst others just had fun. It was a magical time.
After my time in Iceland I returned and Tracy and I renewed our friendship... she then met the man that she would marry. She honoured me by asking me to be her bridesmaid (God knows what would have happened had she not asked me!!). Her wedding reception was a hoot - we had such a good time... all the old friends together again...

The photo is of the "group" the core friends that have been there from way back. I am happy to say that of the 19 people in this photo I am still in touch with 16 of them.. either directly or through their spouse....

Since then I have been extremely blessed (that is an understatement) with meeting people during my life that have become extremely important to me, true friends, that have made me the person that I am. I think I realised at a very early age that I have a need to have people around me that are my significant others, through them I see myself and define myself. With Tracy I had a friend that accepted me always as who I was, we never had anything in particular in common apart from the most important fact that we respected each other and each others point of view - we didn't always agree on things and never had the same life goals but we always knew that those goals were relevant and should never be ridiculed. Through her I understood what wanting to be a mother was - not knowing it from my own needs. From her I learnt about Australian values, Anzac Day and other things alien to an Icelander. We may only be in touch once a year... but with her I know that the next time we meet - God help anyone else who wants to get a word in edgewise...................


2 comments:

Maja said...

Looking at photos of you is like looking in the mirror sometimes.

I remember coming over one day to that place in Cottesloe. Every time I go to Cott beach, I think of it. I'm not sure how old I was then. I wonder if it still looks the same.

Johanna said...

I remember when you girls came to Saudarkrokur - and I have to show you sometimes - a photo taken of you two with my little girls.... Love this post Sigga, and as I said before, you are such a good "pen".... Keep up the good work - looking forward to the next one....;°)....