Pages

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Of family and food


Another wonderful family dinner - this time hosted by Steina and Sorin, Sorin was chef and we had a wonderful chicken soup a'la Romania.  So nice and tasty, in addition to this was a wonderful chicken and green olive casserole served with rice and oven roasted chicken pieces.  Steina was dessert queen as usual and made two wonderful chocolate cakes - one white and one dark, yummmmmm... needless to say I am suffering from that well known Icelandic feeling of I am so sad I could spring...   (söd in Icelandic means full and springa means ready to explode).   It was a 100% turnout as well well 99% as  Smári is at sea at the moment somewhere east of Iceland trawling for cod and other goodies.  However, his lovely wife Jóhanna was there and his amazing kids Atli Björn and Odný Sara

.
Jóhanna and Atli Björn... isn´t he the cutest!


There was a special kids table which was then moved into Victoría's room - so they could have "space".  



This is Finnur, Odný Sara and Kristófer.  All just wonderful kids, and the great thing is they are all so different and yet get on so well.  I love cousins, wish I had had more of them in Aus.


Mum and my cousin Guðný... Oh yeh big news, Guðný, Stebbi, Jóhanna and Finnur are all going to Australia this autumn, so they can be my stand ins at Maja's wedding... See she gets four for the price of one!! Lucky her.  Mum still hasn´t made up her mind as to whether she will go or not.  It's a long trip and she feels that if she does go she will then stay for Dorian's wedding, but that means 5-6 months away from home.... still as she says, she will make up her mind when the time draws nearer.  
There were so many of us that two tables were set (plus the kids), Steina suggested that we invest in a dinner set for 30 that can be passed around the family for use at the family meals.... See how light it is outside.... yay... the sun is coming back - just a few more months now and it will be over 20 hours a day!!!
Ingvi, Þórdís' husband has bought himself a motor bike, in Iceland this means you need to get the full body suit as well.... He was almost poured into it... hardly comfortable.  The moustache is because of male cancer awareness month, in Aus its Movember.... in Iceland it's múffu mars or something like that... a lot of workplaces are taking part and they have a web site where all the teams post photos of there facial growths.... I myself hate upper lip hair - can´t abide it really, so I try not to make any comments......  



Apart from that the last week has been pretty uneventful.  Oh except I bought myself a pilates for dummies dvd and did the work out tonight - I now remember that there were some muscles somewhere under the stomach flab.... I also bought a beginners pilates dvd from the UK which seems more to my liking.  Will try that tomorrow, then there is a dvd yoga for dummies.... leaving that till last 'cos I know that will be the one that stays in the dvd player - much more into breathing and relaxing and stretching when the mood takes me.


Guðný is having the next get together at Easter - her daughter will then be joining us from the south (and family), which will be great.  I put dibs on May for when Nicko is here.  


As we left mum and I talked about how extremely blessed we are having this extended family here, and knowing that they consider us as part of their inner family circle.  







6 comments:

Vicki said...

What a lovely post...and I recognise all those people, please say hi to them for me next time.

northern musings said...

Everyone was asking about you and what was happening with the post office, all very upset about what has happened. Jóhanna plugged your blog saying that all Icelanders need to read it to be reminded of the things that we take for granted! Will pass on your hallo at the next gathering..

Maja said...

Yippee! I'm glad some of my cool rellies from Iceland are coming to the wedding! Quite a few of jason's rellies are coming from England, too! It's going to be great!

Be careful doing the yoga and pilates. My chiropractor reckons most of the people with injuries he gets coming in did it in pilates.

olga said...

Yay for extra Icelanders coming to Australia - it'll be a fantastic time!

Dinner looks wonderful and full of lovely people as usual - that kids' table looks like a fun place to be!

Beautiful. Miss all you guys!
x

Jon D A Jonsson said...

HA, can't wait to eat Iceland again.

I hope brother Nicholas leaves something for Libby and I in July. We are both very excited to see everyone, and Libby can't wait to meet you Sigga, and my good friend Maggi.

Hey can we see the volcano on the way home to your place Auntie Sigga? Pleeeeeease?
Love you XOXOXOXOXOXO

Northern musings said...

Hey Jon, as to visiting the volcano - if it is still blowing then I am sure that there will be some way to get you somewhere nearby.... mind you it will be summer so harder to see it- it looks best at night¨! and don´t worry there will be more than enough of the food available for you both!