Pages

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

We understand death for the first time when he puts his hand upon one whom we love. ~Madame de Stael


My dear uncle Bjössi passed away two weeks ago, we said our final farewells last Saturday.  (he is the one on the left, dad the dark haired one on the right).  

I have so many good memories of my most favourite uncle.  He was like a second dad, his family were my family, our family get togethers here in the hook were his family, me, ma and Maggi.  We were family, very close, very much a cohesive unit.  

I wanted to do a proper tribute - lots of photos and lots of memories... instead this will be a ramble -   


My first real memories of Bjössi were when I came here with mum when I was 12.  Bjössi looked and reminded me so much of my father that I was missing so much at the time.  No major memories come back from this time, I just know that I knew that he was there... solid as a rock.  Quiet, supportive and willing to drive mum wherever she needed to go.  When I came with Tracy, at the age of 17, it was the same, here was this guy, so much like my dad and yet different.... again, the guy to go to if you needed rock solid advice.  Then when I was older 25, mum and dad moved back to the rock.  I came north and had the privilege of helping them (or rather being the intermediary) install the new kitchen.  I saw my dad in a totally different light - he and his brother were having a great time, both of them making digs at the other - a typical sibbling situation, brothers arguing in jest with one another about which one is a better cabinet maker, electrician, handyman.  It was such a hoot.


Since moving back to the rock and after the loss of my father Bjössi had become an even more important part of my life.  When I moved into this house he came and had a look, saw that my windows were crap and came with tools and the necessary to ensure that they would at least last the winter.  I didn't ask, he didn't offer, he just did.  That was the type of man he was - he saw a need and he came and fixed it.  


He was also a dog person, his dog Bæsi passed away a few years ago, he had been a gift from the town to him on his retirement.  When I got Freyja, Bjössi took me aside to make sure that I knew what I was doing - you do realise she is going to die before you?  Are you aware of what you are doing to yourself by getting a dog and becoming attached?  He loved my Freyja, and she him.  Freyja recognised his car when he drove past, always wanting to go and have a chat with him, if he saw her he would stop and say hi... 


We will miss him so much, but we are also grateful that he didn't have to suffer and that he is now at rest.  I know that he and dad and their younger brother Kári are together with their parents and I am also sure that the dogs are there too.  Dad, Bjössi, Kári, Taffi, Bæsi, Snoddass and Misty...  I look forward to walking with you.







3 comments:

Vicki said...

I only met Bjössi a few times and of course we did not speak much to each other (the language barrier) but there certainly was something special and lovely about him....a gentleness pervaded his whole being and I feel blessed (in a way) to have met him.

Unnur said...

You and your words made me cry!!! Ditto and big thanks

Johanna said...

Yes - we were lucky girls to have such great dads... and thank you Sigga for this post about them.. we will miss them forever - but we have lots and lots of memories to keep us "warm " until we meet up with them again... love ya