Pages

Sunday, March 18, 2012

The only reason why we ask other people how their weekend was is so we can tell them about our own weekend. ~Chuck Palahniuk

So I had a weekend away.  Twas very nice, the bloke took me to Myvatn a lake district in the North East of Iceland.  It's an annual thing - a snow mobile competition weekend that now includes motocross on ice.

 The boys and girl (Ebba - she is a super woman) brought their toys, not to compete but just to be a part of the whole feel of the thing.  I have yet to have a go on one of these, not sure that I ever will as I am not that competent on things mechanical... it's amazing that I ever got a driving license.
 The weather was amazing on day two... As the boys and girl and their toys were going on a snowmobile trip, and I was left behind... I decided to walk over to the Ice cross track and do a bit of a hike around the lake, or rather the craters that are near the lake.
From Wiki:
By repeated explosions in a number of locations, groups of craters built up and now dominate the landscape on the shore of Lake Mývatn and also form some of the islands in the lake. This type of lava formation is known as pseudocraters or rootless vents. A group of such craters at Skútustaðir on the south shore of the lake is protected as a natural monument and is frequented by tourists. Other pseudocrater groups in this lava field are in the Laxárdalur Valley and Aðaldalur. The formation of pseudocraters halted the advance of the lava in some places creating temporal lava lakes. The lava eventually drained from the lakes, leaving behind a forest of rock pillars. The biggest of these formations is named Dimmuborgir. At another place, Höfði, the pillars stand in the lake water. The lava created by the Þrengslaborgir eruption is known as the Younger Laxá Lava.
So I walked around the pseudocraters and took the following pics.
 the snowmobile folk on their way across the lake to meet up with others for their little excursion.
 So magical
 The ice crossers on their track on a frozen lake
 A half hour later the weather came in.  According to my snow mobile friends the weather hit just as they headed out on the main treck, they saw nothing and 50 people on ski doos, arctic cats, polaris and lynx machines followed one another for two hours....  bit sad really,  but it just means that next year, weather permitting they can try the treck again and hopefully see the landscape and appreciate it.   I meanwhile had got back to the hotel before the weather hit and was happy reading a book....  After they got back we went to Jarðböðin http://www.jardbodin.is/en/ I was going to borrow a photo - not possible... so the link will have to do.  Twas very nice and very relaxing.  The evening was then spent at the hotel at the other end of the lake where we met up with some fishermen on leave.... I think that this weekend is a very good weekend for the folk involved in the tourism and food and drink industry in the area.
 Some lovely fishermen,  the ones on the edges are from the Westman Islands, they had landed their catch on the east coast and had decided to spend their time ashore enjoying themselves, we first met up with them at Jarðböðin and then later in the evening at the restaurant.  Some people just have a natural ability to enjoy themselves.
 Some need to display more than required.
The trip home today was excellent, sun shining - lots of snow and blue skies and blue fjords.  Life just can't get better than this.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had such a beautiful weekend! I love the quote you used for the title, I used to be really into Chuck Palahniuk novels.

Question: are there dog sledding competitions in Iceland? If so, have you ever been?
:)

Northern musings said...

No dog sledding competitions that I know of but I think that there are a couple of tourist service companies that do dog sled tours. Hey, just googled, apparently they have a competition in the same place I was next weekend! So there you go - I learnt something new!

I don't think that I have ever read anything by Chuck... will need to amend this - can you recommend a book to start with?

Maja said...

I find it really hard to picture what they're describing in that wikipedia entry! Is it just me with pregnancy brain or is it hard to understand?

Myvatn is a whole different world in the snow. Glad you finished your hike before the weather got bad!

northern musings said...

hey Maja something is not working with these comments, but I will try again.... will post a photo of the pseudo craters (summer) on the photo sheet

Anonymous said...

That's awesome, please let me know if you attend one! Let's see, it's been a while since I've read anything by him, but I would recommend either Fight Club or Invisible Monsters.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Awesome scenery.