Pages

Friday, June 27, 2008

Just because you're miserable doesn't mean you can't enjoy your life. ~Annette Goodheart

I´ve been feeling a bit like that recently, both miserable and enjoying life at the same time. Strange, I think it has a lot to do with the weather, work and general summer time blues. Soon though I will have some time off to do some serious work around the house.

Last week was the 17th of June - our national day - hence the photo of the flag. It was also the day they shot bear number 2. She was extremely weak from her swim and her likelihood of surviving a return journey (sedated) to Greenland seem slim. At least this time an attempt was made (an extremely expensive attempt at that...and since a whole heap of experts have come out of the woodwork to say how it really should have gone down), Oh well, we wait for bear 3 and see what happens then. Apparently a couple of women thought that they had spotted number 3, but it turns out that it was probably just a very big sheep.
Freyja watching the proceedings on the oval on the 17th of June - it was a beautiful day - but there was a mighty cold northerly blowing which made being outdoors a tad brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
3am the sunlight lighting the southern end of the fjord
A view to Drangey with Arctic Turns doing their morning breakfast run.
Midsummer has now passed which means (if we want to be depressing) the days are getting shorter... Some shots from 3am are included in this post - but now that I have managed to add flickr to my sidebar (thanks maja) those that want more photos can go there and troll through the really really bad photography...

4 comments:

Margarita Mirasol said...

Lovely pics.
Lovely dog.
Funny about the 'very big sheep'.
The image I have of this big sheep is making me chuckle.

Maja said...

When I read about it in the iceland review daily news from iceland, I figured it would have been a sheep. They're big, white woolly looking things as well.

It looks so bright in the photos. I don't like the utter utter brightness of midsummer in iceland. Too much light! Much more pleasant at night. But then the darkness in winter totally depresses me as well.

Maybe you're just depressed because you're at work when it's beautiful summer outside.

How much time are you having off?

Northern musings said...

hey guys, yes it is a tad light these days.. Have a total of two weeks off - well thats the plan at the moment. Next blog will be about the happenings in my garden, it started with a small flower bed. But now Biggi from Rip has been here with his little digger and we are getting rid of the weeds and moss and I will have grass and niceness surrounding what I have now decided will be a little red shed. Yes the house colour will not be black (too depressing) amd going red instead.. Stay tuned.. and as for those danged sheep bears.... well stay tuned.

tsduff said...

I love the black and white houses... I think you would have been fine on your cute little place with that color scheme. But looking forward to see it in red - thing is, you can get away with anything at all in Iceland with those wonderful colors of any shade. I fell in love with the dark midnight blue color scheme (white window panes of course) but I think it traumatized my conservative neighborhood when I followed through after a house fire in 1998... and painted the entire house and garage in that scheme. I love Iceland houses.