Pages

Monday, June 16, 2008

Summer has set in with its usual severity. ~Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Well, the latest in news from S´krók is that another polar bear has landed. This time further north near Hraun á Skaga. It has settled itself down in the eider nesting area - happily munching away at little eider ducklingss and/or eider duck eggs. The police have this time, sealed off the area, evacuated the farm (where the eider duck nesting area is) and are awaiting further instruction. After the debacle last time they are not going to let the shooters shoot until all other possibilities have been exhausted. This time the weather is sunny - although extremely windy. Stay tuned... till then some photos.
The summer moon, taken at around 10:30pm
This boat once belonged to my dad.... such a nice little boat to go fishing in on the fjord.

Sweetness... ooohhhh she is so cute...

It´s a tough life being a dog, watching me trying to create a garden in front of the house.

Yes well, those rocks are to become a small border for a very very small flower garden.

It is so small that you can hardly see it on this picture -- maybe if you magnify it 100 times... Still I felt I had accomplished something - I also mowed the lawn and did some weeding in the messy bit outside the house... Ah my poor shed it does so look derelict...

These were taken by a drunken me at around 3 in the morning... don´t you just love that sky.

Pretty pink...

Tindastóll looking majestic as usual.

7 comments:

Maja said...

Looks like beautiful weather there. Good work on the gardening!

Margarita Mirasol said...

Wow. There's something always so etheral about photos in Iceland. Or should that read, ethanol. I guess it depends on what you are drinking.

Northern musings said...

Thanks guys, update on the Polar Bear - it was a she and she is dead. They were trying to get close to her to tranquilise her when she attacked, so they shot her. Apparently she was in a bad way and her survival on return to Greenland would have been iffy.

Margarita Mirasol said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. That is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sad.
I was just talking about the polar bear with my student. Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. So sad. I will email my student now and make her feel sad too cos it's not fair that only I have to feel sad.
;)
Awwwwwwwwwww. So sad.

Northern musings said...

´tis sad, but maybe with the next one they will be able to do the right thing and at least get them off this island and on their way home.

tsduff said...

Yes I love the sky pictures. And the cute face of your pup, as well as the sea picture... Are those trees behind your house? Wow. Nice garden - remember it isn't the size that counts, but the quality.

It is a heartbreak about the second bear being shot, especially after surviving her long swim from Greenland.

Northern musings said...

Thanks ts. Yes those are trees behind the house (most belong to neighbors - big ash trees and a couple of furs and pines are in my garden). My garden is currently undergoing a total make over, have gotten rid of dead or dying trees all the old grass/weeds have been removed and soon I will have new top soil and turf... will post some shots later this week as work progresses