Pages

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Democracy is being allowed to vote for the candidate you dislike least. ~Robert Byrne

Sauðárkrókur at around 10pm
So today is the first day of summer according to the Icelandic calendar - which means a day off from work... very nice.
When I woke up this morning the sun was shining and the sky was a clear blue, as the day progressed the clouds rolled in and now there is a fairly cool breeze outside.

So, the first day of summer is a pretty big thing here. Everyone you meet you wish a happy summer and thanks for the winter... love that. Also the scouts have a bit of a parade to the church and have a special scouting service. (I was asleep... bad me).


Here in town the local women (most of whom teach or are assistants at the primary school) decided to have a bit of a market in the "black house" , selling knit wear, jewellery and giving away coffee and pikelets - the museum next door was also opened to let folk check out the exhibitions. To make it a little more interesting they asked the local motorcyclists to come and join them (as you can imagine - motorcycling is only done in the summer months here). They had a really good turnout.

Also today, the local co-op - KS celebrated it´s 120th birthday and opened the new workshop that is just down the road (and subject of a lot of my photos when I am walking the dog). It was a really good day and by the looks of how many cars were there I would say that probably 70% of the locality showed up for the entertainment, speeches, cake, kók og prins that were on offer.

Now am off to dinner at Olafshús with Maggi, Sigga, Helgi and mum (today is maggi´s parents 38th wedding aniversary... )

A perfect day - work tomorrow - but only for one day and the tax returns seem to be coming along... I love my life.

Have I told you - the dog's on heat... talk about pmt....



and that the cat is scarily crazy sometimes... just ask Maja, Olga, Kristinn and Anna.....
and the quote is because general elections are on Saturday - and I still haven´t decided who is getting my vote - this is a first!

4 comments:

Maja said...

I love that crazy cat :)

Wow, I can't believe summer has come around to you guys again already... the winter seemed short for some reason.

It's just started getting cooler here the past couple of days, I guess winter is coming for us.. but they're always pleasant winters in Perth.

olga said...

Gleðilegt sumar! It's kinda weird that spring doesn't really exist there...
Ha, Ross was reading over my shoulder and figured out that the Icelandic there would mean happy summer. He'll totally be ready for vows in Icelandic by July!

Yeah, snotra is mad, but you should meet Ross' mum's cat Squeak. I think he may even be crazier!
x

Old Knudsen said...

I was just thinking what a fine sexy dog that is.

northern musings said...

Yeh Maja Perth winters are great.. .I kinda miss them . ... sort of.
Ross is just brilliant... I knew that he would have no probs with the vows when he sang the psalm... amazing guy.
Ah Knudsen - she´d bite your balls off... she's that sort of gal.