Pages

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

No Camera, no pictures, no fun.....

Yep, the camera has gone awol, have no idea where I left it. So - the run down on the last two weeks.
My most wonderful friends - Bernd, Amanda, Narelle, Matthias (B & A´s son), Amandas folks and her great aunt were all here for a fabulous six days in the north. It was all pretty low key on my part - I did very little whilst they did major major work for mum in the garden, cooked an amazing chinese dinner (that ended up being dinner for two nights). We did manage to squeeze in a little site seeing and berry picking - which is the to do thing here at this time of year.
After they left for the South and the requisite visit to Gullfoss, Geysir and Thingvellir, along with Rvk and the Blue Lagoon. The other autumn activities went into full swing. That is the sheep round up and sorting... just see my blogs for early september in the last few years and you will know what I am talking about.
So, this year instead of collecting the sheep I just went with Guðný to sort sheep in the coral. Twas brilliant fun (as always) and as always came home with an appropriate number of bruises on my upper thighs. You see the thing is with the sheep of my uncle - they are all horned, handy handle thingies. You swing over so they are between your legs face forward, ie horn in thigh, and gently move them to the section of the roundup where uncles sheep are collected together. I also managed to be "bucked" by a lamb (female at that - can´t even say it was a potential huge ram) - lost a bit of cred, but hey I didn´t let go.
Saturday night was scrabble night with Guðný, which ended up being a very late Tarot reading session. The cards had no major news for me.... ah well, just as well I don´t believe in that crap.
Sunday turned out to be a glorious day, mum and I even had a bit of a sun bake in the back yard. Iceland style - bra and jeans.... not a pretty sight... still twas the weather for that (and the fence high enough to protect the young and easily traumatised). It was also the day that we probably used the grill for the last time this year.
Next weekend Andres has said that I can be a part of the second round up - this time we collect the straggler sheep and the horses that have been up in the mountain pastures. It´s a really pleasant ride and hopefully the stragglers won´t be too unwilling to join their mates in the farm paddocks.
This time of year also means slaughter season (this lasts for around 2 months). Which also means that the population of the town has been increased by 15 new zealanders around 20 poles and a few swedes thrown in for good measure.
Too tired too windblown to say anymore...

3 comments:

judith said...

Sounds like fun, I haven't been on a round-up in a REAL long time.

I had my Cards read twice. The reader recorded the reading and I was able to go back and dictate it all out so that I could read it from time to time to see if thing have gone as she said. So far she's been VERY accurate.

olga said...

Oh no, I hope the camera turns up!

Aw, bucked by a lamb! I bet you saved a bit of cred by not letting go, though!

Also, cool that people are going back to Iceland - is it worthwhile earning kronas again?

x

Anonymous said...

We had a great time!! Thank you so much to you and Amma .... ahhh, we love you guys. Bernd and Matthias are missing Freya a lot. :-) Love amanda