Pages

Sunday, April 11, 2010

The only rock I know that stays steady, the only institution I know that works is the family. ~Lee Iacocca

Well,  it's been a wonderful week and weekend, we had heaps of snow which has now all but disappeared.  The political life has not yet started - so life is quite relaxed - work is getting busier and I have a small job doing some translation work on the side - which is a good thing.  As this means that I will actually have to read some Icelandic, which in turn means that I may take some grammar and spelling rules in subconsciously.  We shall see.  So here is a shot from last weekends family dinner - this is the latest in the family - Steina and Sorins son Halli.  He is such a cutie... what eyes - what a smile!  Ofcourse the question of my maternal instincts came up and the biological clock - mine has expired... hence so nice to borrow someone else's if only for a few minutes¨!

















So this weekend was another mini family get together - this time mum's side of the family - my cousin Brynjólfur's daughter was confirmed today - this is a big deal in Iceland - a right of passage from childhood to adulthood.  We did not go to the church but went for the meal and cakes - yummmmmm I drove mum and my aunt Maja over to Húnaver (the next valley to the west) there we met up with the oldest of the sisters (it was her granddaughter being confirmed) and my wonderful cousins Sigga, Kristín and Ólína (and Brynjólfur ofcourse)














Don´t you just love the look on mums face!  Mum (83) is behind - Guja the eldest (89) is wearing green (by the way this dress was the dress that she wore at her daughter Ásdís's confirmation - some 40 + years ago - still fits! still looks great!  Maja on the right is second youngest of the sisters (77)... look good don't they!
This is Kristin - she is a classic!  Her dog had puppies recently - she has a British Bulldog sooo cute but ugly at the same time!  She absolutely dotes on her dog/s and told me today that the young pup that she is keeping from the litter has a chrystal collar Schwarovsky  ofcourse while mummy dog has one made of snake skin... Ah poor Freyja - she has so got to get her act together  -  maybe if she provides me with offspring I will upgrade her collar.... from hippy to bling.

This is my wonderful cousin Ólína and her daughter Eyrún... they are both just soo beautiful - both inside and out.  Eyrún is such a gorgeous kid, smart, happy and they have such a wonderful relationship - they are friends as well as mother and daughter!  Oh dear oh dear - does this sound like a woman with regrets about not becoming a mother... no, no regrets... am just so happy that other members of my extended family have procreated and have such wonderful kids.

To end:  some shots from the snow days that we had during the week - like I said - it's all gone now!

The horse statue in town that really looks nothing like a horse except when it snows!



5 comments:

olga said...

Great photos - I was going to comment on the one of Guja, Amma and Maja on Flickr, but then I came here instead! I love all their facial expressions, Maja looks quite cranky and Guja just looks happy, and Amma's like 'whatevs, man'.

Glad life is relaxed, and you're right, translation is probably the way to practice Icelandic grammar.

Awwww... Halli is adorable! Such a great family!
x

Johanna said...

You would have made an awsome mom Sigga min - but you are not less of a very very VERY great cousin/aunt/nice/friend/sister/
daughter o.s.frv. - so to sum it up - YOU ARE GREAT ;°)....
Love the photo of you and Halli....
and the one of your mom and her sisters - man - they always look the same - never get a day older;°)....

northern musings said...

I think I need to get the photo of me and Halli printed out - it makes me smile - he has such an infectious smile - you can't help but be happy when you see it! You are so blessed Jóhanna!!
Thanks Olga... I think the one of the sisters is a classic, mum stealing the scene as usual! Twas a good day with the sisters and I have promised to take mum and Maja over to Gujas as soon as the roads dry up - ie that it is not a muddy backwater all the way to Austurhlíð. Sirrí has promised to join us - will be a good day - promise to take lots of photos and notes about what they talk about!

olga said...

Aw, also, what Johanna said! You are a fantastic not-mum to all us nieces and nephews, and a great friend, too!
Love you lots!
xx

Maja said...

I can't see all the photos on work internet (blocked! boooo) but I saw a bulldog on a tv show and they are so adorable! They don't seem to be toooo big either, sort of just medium sized?

One day I will be able to have a dog, it's fun to imagine what kind we'll get, though when we do get a dog we'll probably get it from the pound.