Pages

Sunday, April 18, 2010

What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal. Albert Pike

Today's quote is in memorium of the wife of my uncle Kári (dad's youngest brother), her funeral was here in Sauðárkrókur on Saturday and as a result there were quite a few relatives here that we don't get to see that often.  Eva was a wonderful woman, she travelled to New York to study music in the 50's, something that not many people in Iceland had the opportunity or the willingness to do.  She spent three years in New York, came back to Iceland and married my uncle, helped set up the music school in town and later became head master of the school.  I know my nieces and nephews that lived here all have fond memories of studying at the school.  I remember her from when I came here with my friend Tracy - we were naive 17 year olds on a big adventure.  Eva and Kári were so good to us and I will never forget the warmth of the welcome and the conversation - she always spoke to us as adults, never making any remarks about how young we were to be travelling such a great distance.  I loved her for that.

All of Bjössi's (dad's eldest brother) children were here for the funeral, and on Saturday night I got a really nice surprise - they were all out for a walk together and decided to drop by my place - I ofcourse took the opportunity and invited myself and Freyja along for the rest of the walk

It was a really lovely night for a walk, hardly any wind and really rather warm (for an Icelandic spring).  As you may all have realised by now this is like my second family,  

Freyja loved it - Rúnar took over the leash as soon as we left my place and by the time we got to Bjössi's she new all about "heel".  On our walk home she even managed to stay with me... today, however, was another story.  

Today (apart from leash arguments with Freyja) was another family get together - this time to celebrate the birthday of Atli Björn, he turned 2 on the 15th.


Ofcourse there was a feast.  - with all the family there 

So tomorrow another week begins, hopefully not as eventful as the last one, I think most Icelanders are of the opinion that last week seemed like one of the longest ever, starting with the publication of the black report, then the volcano erupting, floods and evacuations and then flight disruptions.  

Lets hope the volcano stops dispensing the bad ash and quietly bubbles and lava flows out without further disruptions to flights.  But as we know nature does what nature wants and we will all be subject to her whims, whatever they may be.


3 comments:

Maja said...

Yep, Eva taught me piano back in 1986, she was lovely and very patient. I hope she didn't suffer too much before she died.

Everyone keeps asking me if it's chaos in Iceland with the eruption. I keep telling them all the ash is blowing off to the east and it's not affecting too many icelanders as the bulk live in Reykjavik and other areas upwind of the volcano. But I only know what I read. Have you seen any effects up in s'krokur? I'm guessing not, and Alda said you wouldn't have known there was an eruption by the weather in reykjavik. Who has been affected by the ash in Iceland?

northern musings said...

http://www.ruv.is/upptokur/eldgos-i-eyjafjallajokli/myndir-af-gjoskufalli

is a link to the ruv site with pictures from the ash fall out in the south. As the winds have either been northerly or north westerly or westerly - none of the ash has come north or east to Rvk, the volcano is on the belly bit - jutting out into the north atlantic so the ash is heading almost straight out to sea. There is a forecast for a change in wind direction tomorrow - will keep you posted on this.

Maja said...

Thanks! xox