Pages

Sunday, April 04, 2010

Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato

I am using Plato as my inspiration for this next faze of life that I am going into.  For those that haven´t been in the loop I made the big step last week of agreeing to be placed on a list for the local elections.  All Icelandic elections are based on preferential voting so you actually vote for a list of people (usually belonging to one particular political party although sometimes the lists can be based on a mutual interest / opinion).  There are 18 people on the list and in the local elections there are 9 seats on the council that you are going for.  Here there are 4 political parties competing in the elections.  The number of seats a particular party gets is based on the total number of votes as a percentage - and the people then that get on the council is based on where they are on the list.  I am in number 2 spot on the party list that has usually had between 2-4 seats on the council... so basically I have a lot of work ahead of me.  Why do this? Why not... I think that I guess it's time for me to continue to grow in life and experiences and this will be an amazing one.  Also, I think that at some stage it had to come to pass that I try giving something back to the community that I have chosen to call home, I just hope that I will stick to my principles and will do the best job I can.  It is going to be tough I know that.... but I will not make this blog a political one, so this will be the first and last time that I mention this - except of course for those occasions where something happens that I just HAVE to share... hopefully they will only be fun times!

In other news - we have new neighbours.  The house at number 13 on the main street has been sold, the owner is going to use it as a summer house.  He has a dog!!!!

So this is where Freyja has spent most of the weekend... checking out the neighbour... She is NOT happy with this turn of events and takes every opportunity to go and check things out.

What else... winter is back - with avengence

It was beautiful tonight on our walk, no wind, big flakes of snow and so quiet....

It has been a wonderful Easter weekend, I do love these five day weekends, still one day to go...  Unlike other weekends there were no nights out on the town, even though on both Saturday morning and Saturday night there was good entertainment on offer at Mælifell, Von and Matti from Pappar on Saturday morning from midnight till 4 (cover band .  but good value) and Páll Óskar on Saturday night (DJ, Eurovision star and the best known gay in Iceland).  I think I am either realising my age or just basically becoming a boring old fart.... hope not.... no can't be... Will try to make this up at the next available opportunity.

There was a family gathering on Friday which we couldn't attend as I had the honour of having Guðný's folks over for dinner... however, there will be another one tomorrow as my cousin Steina has invited everyone over for coffee and cakes - I do love how this family likes one another!!! Again, so blessed.

Trust that everyone had a wonderful Easter and that life is as good for everyone else as it is for me.

8 comments:

Vicki said...

I can't wait to see you in political action! I will be watching this space as I am sure you will just HAVE to share some stuff!

P.S.
Is the new dog next door a MALE?

Johanna said...

Good for you Sigga - you go girl;°).... And I know you will do a good job on the council - you also have a great guy in the first seat.... Maby this will be the first time EVER - that I (the blue one in the family) - will vote for another party than the "independence" party - that will be the day;°).....
I would so much want to change the rules of voting for council - the parties put out a list of people - willing to work for the community - and you can just pick out those that you trust to do the job - no matter what party they belong to.... I would - at least - vote for two people from "framsóknarflokkur".....
And I agree with Vicky - you are gonna HAVE to share some stuff - and I hope you do - at least those that matter most to this community - and you know WHAT Sigga - you can get some great advise from us - your readers and followers;°).... right Vicki????
Looking forward to seeing you this afternoon .....

olga said...

Yeah, I'd like to hear about the political stuff!

And I hope Freyja can be friends with the next door dog - especially if he's a cute boy dog... Ross and I will probably need a puppy once we move there :)

Glad you had a nice Easter! Love from both me and Ross
x

judith said...

Wow, a life in politics....

Maja said...

Yes, I concur, we all want to hear about your political activities on the blog, but i suppose you will have to be careful what you post!

What's this about Olga and Ross moving to Iceland now? Why haven't I heard about it on the Olga overseas blog? Or anywhere for that matter...

northern musings said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys.. we shall see how it all pans out. I will no doubt post stuff that I shouldn't... no there will be a lot of self editing I am sure.. Anyway it will no doubt be very interesting whatever happens. Maja, I don't understand how this passed you by.. Olga and Ross have chosen to live the life in Iceland.. well for a bit anyway.. Needless to say Ma and I are very happy. As I think are a lot of other family members here. Just a pity that they aren´t here for the elections... I may have need of their vote.

Maja said...

I guess i'm out of the loop! The year is passing by so quickly, I don't think I've seen anyone from this side of the family since last year!

Northern musings said...

Do what I do - if you don´t get to them - invite them to you! A nice bbq on the deck when the rain starts to ease...