Pages

Friday, October 08, 2010

Time is what we want most, but... what we use worst. ~Willaim Penn

Yes it's been a while since I last visited here.... Where does the time go.. where do I waste it and where is it being well spent.  Well, for the last three weeks I can say it has been well spent.  

My most favourite person in the whole world has been here with me.. My big sister...   Like most folk I forget to tell the people that matter most how much they mean to me.  She will shortly be on her way from London to Perth.  A long and painful trip - the one I haven't taken for over ten years now..... It was so so good to have her here.   

In other news, Ross and Olga are now both here and looking for work, which I think will be banging on the door within a few days.  Although things in Iceland are not so good at the moment and the national government is making all sorts of irrational cuts to health and other local organisations in the rural areas, I refuse to be pessimistic, this is a great place with huge potential - it is just a matter of getting people to work together as one and to try and let national politics not get in the way.  We need to think of the local community - what we have and what we can build on.  Like most things political - easy enough to say but extremely hard to actually invoke.   What we do have in our favour and what we have plenty of is sheep....

Which is a good thing..... if Icelandic sheep farmers are able, then there is a world market out there just waiting for them.  Icelandic lamb is unique in that after birth in May they go up to the mountains and stay there in pastures green, with herbs and berries to eat until early September when they are brought down and sorted and slaughtered..... Sad, but true - lamb that you eat is never older than 6 months old.  Hence, always prime lamb, none of your almost a year old but still passes for lamb stuff.  
But as everyone knows - you can't live off a sheep's back.... now what was that historians name????  I know that Prof Black is very very ashamed of me at this moment ....    
So, with the budget cuts to the health establishments, the next few days will be spent protesting and attending local shire meetings to try to get the message to the politicians in Reykjavik that they can't just make budget cuts according to some excel sheet projections based on communities of 320.000 somewhere in another part of the world.  This is a small country and yes, there are opportunities for rationalisation and centralisation of services, but in matters of health and services to the elderly then it is better to have a more localised approach.  The human factor also needs to be included in the excel sheet.  



Stole the photo from Olga - aren't they the greatest.... love them so much!!!!!


So, such is life, it's a good life.  


Will try and be more conscientious with my blogging... but hey, if I am not...........

3 comments:

Maja said...

That is a seriously cute outfit you are wearing in that photo! You look great!

Do you know I haven't seen Unnur since last year? That is a seriously long time when we live in the same city! I can't believe how quickly this year has passed. I guess my excuse is being away 2/3rds of the time and having time off booked up in advance with stuff.

Lamb lamb delicious lamb.

I hope Ross and Olga find work soon, there has to be something out there.

judith said...

I've never had lamb.... Beef, it's what's for dinner.

I would go for some Icelandic wool off those hair little creatures.

Northern musings said...

Thank you Maja, we went on a major spending spree in Akureyri. Hope you have a chance to catch up with Unnur and Jóhanna and Guðný, I know you will be busy with the wedding - but they are great - we had a wonderful weekend together.
Jomamma one day you will need to try Icelandic lamb. A german friend of mine hates lamb but finds the Icelandic stuff quite edible...