Pages

Saturday, December 18, 2010

As long as we know in our hearts what Christmas ought to be, Christmas is. ~Eric Sevareid

We all wish that we could be this content...  and I think I am - if my lack of Christmas angst is anything to go by then this is probably the look that I have at most times.  Although, today, I think that I actually realised that Christmas is less than a week a way.  I have done NOTHING, no cards sent, no major cleaning done, no planning made for the days of the festivities... figure it's coming whether or not I write a card, clean the floors or do any more baking.   So, to all my friends and relations reading this - Merry Christmas and Happy New Year... no doubt I will blog some more over the festive season - so I will keep this mantra going and hope that it will be a sufficient replacement for the lack of cards or presents being sent.  Pretty lame - but that is Sigga in 2010.

 The tree outside my lounge room window.  The first of the winter blizzards came through last night.  Twas quite nice, I really do like a blizzard every now and then.
 The lights on the tree - I think that I do a pretty good job of providing the neighboring restaurant with a bit of festive cheer.
 Tonight (and last week), Glaumbæ and Áskaffi had their yearly Advent fest, where people can come and visit the old farm house and experience what Christmas was like not that long ago here in Iceland, in the old house there is no electricity, so only candle light to light the way down the dark turf halls and the cold seeping in.  In Áskaffi, my cousin Herdís puts on a feast with all the old traditional cakes and cookies that all Icelanders know and associate with this time of year.  To wash it down she provides the best hot chocolate with whipped cream, if hot chocolate is not your thing - you can have a great cup of coffee or malt and apelsin.
 My cousin Gýgja's daughter Karen has been helping Herdís out.   She is a lovely girl, quite shy
 After the the old house tours are done the volunteers came down to partake in the offerings at Áskaffi.
 A really really nice way to spend the day.  Unfortunately this year there were not that many visitors to Glaumbæ and Áskaffi, or should I say fortunately - you see I ended up with a lot of the leftovers.   Anyone want to come over for coffee?  I could possibly make a cup of hot chocolate - not as good as Herdís but not bad....

2 comments:

judith said...

We have a Christmas Tour of the Antique Village in McKinney. I think they have 5 or 6 period home set up. From a one room 'lodge' dating back to the early 1800's to a 1940's style home. It's really fun to see how simply people lived.

Maja said...

I didn't make the time for Christmas cards this year either. I read something somewhere about how before Christmas cards were invented people used to write letters and the Christmas cards made it all a bit less personal. But it's always good to get stuff in the post...

I hurriedly wrote some cards to you, Amma and Ross and Olga to send with a package to Olga but I was suffering Christmas shopping anxiety at the time so they are kind of crap as far as lovely messages go :/

Anyway, merry Christmas and happy new year to you, too. Love you, keep up the posts :) xoxox