Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The only exercise some people get is jumping to conclusions, running down their friends, side-stepping responsibility, and pushing their luck! ~Author Unknown

There are good days and there are bad days and some days contain the quality of both.


Today was a good day because Jacqueline and Dorian went to Drangey and saw the Puffins.... it was probably also a bad day for them 'cos it was cold and windy... but I am sure that they enjoyed it anyway.  Also, it was a good day, as we all went out to dinner at Ólafshús and had a very fine meal...


BUT it was also a very bad day as I felt the first repercussions of going into politics and being questioned about my integrity.  It was based, in my opinion, on political grandstanding, nevertheless, I am a person of that nature that takes these things to heart.  I went into this thing with a positive view on that it would be possible for all to work together for the good of the community.


The crux of todays debacle was the production of a series of books about Skagafjordur.   There will be in all 7 books published, each takes a certain section of the rural community that makes up Skagafjordur and tells the history of each farm (whether currently inhabited or not).  It is a major project that began in 1996, so far 5 volumes have been published, the 6th will be available by Christmas this year and in total 9 will be produced (given funding).


Todays crisis was the fact that there had been an agreement with the local council to pay for the costs associated with one of the main writers/researchers of this book.  The last agreement ran out at the end of last year... ie 31 december 2010, we have made an allowance in the council budget for his wages and costs in 2011.  Also, no one wants this project to stop mid way... so what was the problem????  I can only think that political grandstanding ... this was an opportunity to be painful, arrogant and also to find the weakest link in the chain - ie... me...  I did not go into politics to make a name for myself,  stupid me... this makes me the weakest link in the political chain therefore the easiest to attack.  Apparently I have some personal investment in this matter... hmm.. yes the company I work for donates my time in order to do the accounts for the publication... me personally - I just think it's a wonderful publication, as it tells the history of the farms from as far back as records allow.  My own personal gain is zero... still... some feel that this may be a bone of contention.


Also, there is a matter of a debt to the council that sits on the balance sheet of the publication and as an asset with the council... at some stage this needs to be sorted out... did anyone do any homework on this today... no... they just wanted to know if the council would sit with the debt... seeing as though the council decided to put this on their balance sheet ten years ago and not into their profit and statement way back when...  (I know I am talking accounts talk)... thing is the book began in 1996, the guy working on it has been on the councils payroll... instead of just making his wages an expense they decided to make it a debt on the publication.... the publication then became an entity of its own so the costs accumulated to that date became a debt of the publication to the council... So at some stage someone has to account for a write off in their books....   Did anyone understand this, - seems not... and instead, I am accused of being an interested party (in terms of my employers who give my book keeping for nada).....  


I should probably not be venting like this - but I am so annoyed, so disappointed and so so fucked by this sort of petty mindedness.   Again, I should have stuck by my view of politics way back in the 80's that no good would come of me ever being involved... no matter how ideological I am....


In other news tonight is the solstice... I am awake at 1.30 am and it is still light outside.

No comments: