Pages

Sunday, November 18, 2012

The color of springtime is in the flowers; the color of winter is in the imagination. ~Terri Guillemets

 I've been a tad preoccupied with the weather....  there has been a little bit of snow falling here. As a result I have not been doing much driving.... My car will be dug out in the spring me thinks!
 My little house is covered in snow, at least three feet or more!
I also haven't seen the boy at all - we may live almost next door, the snow thing seems to make visiting a little hard.  As usually when I am outside I am with the dog and in a snow suit - not quite visiting material.
 Today's challenge was to remove the snow from the roof of mum's extension.  Easier said than done.  As you can see the first challenge was to get into the garden....  - first dig out the gate... then dig your way towards the back of the house.
 As you can (or rather can't see) mum's "skáli (extension with the hot pot) is totally covered in snow.
 I called out the troops - Maggi and Árni - well I called Maggi first and then Árni to drive Maggi down into town - a lot of the roads are impassable and up in their street the Golf may have found getting out a tad difficult.
 In other news last night was the yearly get together of my political party - dinner and dance and entertainment brought to you by your local politicians.... this year there was a meeting of the mid level management of the party - so lots of additional folk there to entertain and be entertained.  The weather made getting there quite difficult - one bus load took 2 hours to come 10kms.... The photo above is of the local "powers that be".  The one on the right (Gunni Valgarðs) is related to me through a common great grandmother.
 My house is seriously in threat of being stabbed by icicles.
 The dog loves this weather and would spend all day outside walking in the snow..... I think today was a major work out day for me.  Walking her and digging in the snow.
 This was mum's before we went in and dug the snow off the roof.  - her fence is probably six foot high (well higher than me).... I am standing on top of a snow drift between mum's fence and Ólafshús.
 My lovely neighbor Þorgerður dug the path past my house and through to mum's - she also dug the snow off mum's front steps.  The folk in this little town of mine are just amazing!
 This is mum's from the inside!  A wall of snow!
 Snotra mum's cat was getting a tad stir crazy - she hasn't been able to get out of the house for 3 days.  So she took her favourite hunting position at the top of the stairs.  That hole that she is looking through is where you put your hand in order to get up the (quite) steep staircase, once the hand is in - she attacks!
 The other side of my house - my kitchen window under threat of snow and icicle attack!
 So much snow!
and some of us love it a little bit too much!

After I posted this I realised that I used the same quote as two weeks ago... hence a new quote from Terri Guillemets 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad Freyja is enjoying the snow. Stay warm!

judith said...

OH MY GOSH!!! That is crazy! Do you own snowshoes?

northern musings said...

Will do Glenna, and no Judith no snow shoes here. So it's a wellington job and hope that you don't sink to far into the drift. It was fine powder snow so getting around has been difficult. I have been trying to remove icicles from the house and some of the excess snow from the roof, but getting to the end of the house is impossible.... drowning literally in snow! I love the white, but enough is enough!

Moses said...

Here in Africa, we don't have no snow. And how amazing it will be, to be closer to one.

Maja said...

Funny how in the last post the icicles on your house were vertical, now they're leaning in. Must have had some wind!

Doesn't Freyja get cold feet after a while? I remember when Jason and I took her and Nina for a walk to the graveyard last year she was holding a foot off the ground and alternating feet because they were freezing. It was in the minus teens then I suppose. If it's -1 to -5 she's probably fine.

Amma's backyard is like a snow magnet It just gets in there!

I was pretty over the snow after 2 weeks in iceland last year, I can't imagine how you're feeling about it!

northern musings said...

hey guys, stay tuned for the next snow post. Apparently blizzards forecast for tomorrow. Árni and Bjössi went south today in not so nice conditions - wanted to make sure that they got to Keflavik for their Friday morning flight to London - they are going to a Man U game.... and made sure they didn't miss their flight. However, before he left Árni made sure my car was taken out of the snow.
Maja with the curvature thing - it's because the overhang is melting rather slowly off my roof only a couple of centimetres and is curving under - it's happening on both sides. So every night now I am going out to try and take a little bit off it so it doesn't all come crashing down off the roof and through my windows. My gosh this comment could have been a post!