Pages

Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Welcome, winter. Your late dawns and chilled breath make me lazy, but I love you nonetheless. ~Terri Guillemets

 Well, what has happened since last I wrote on this my online diary to remind myself of what I have done and where I have been.....  the little one got ill.... not a good time to be ill (is there ever? - but with the weather here some days are definitely worse than others).... I went with Ross to the hospital, where, the doc on duty and her supervisor both felt it would be better for him to be looked at by a pediatrician at Akureyri (2 hour drive over a mountain pass - the forecast was for snow and ice..... Olga and Ross - and me for that matter still had summer tyres on the car) Olga was working with Herdís at Áskaffi, so Ross picked Olga up on the way to the hospital in the North.  Just after they left my cousin Jóhanna phoned to say that she and her daughter Rúna Birna (and her man Helgi Páll) were on their way to Akureyri as Rúna's child had decided that now was the time to enter this world..... made me a little easier knowing someone was on their way North after Olga and Ross... you know just in case.....
 The little chap was not happy... it's amazing how useless you feel when a small child is unwell - or an animal - verbilisation is so so important...  Still all was well - We sent winter tires north with my cousin Guðný's husband Stebbi, so 24 hours later all were home and pretty well ok..  The dude still had a bit of a temp the next day - but I think all is well now (bad aunt.... haven't checked in on them for a day or so... not good - and they practically live next door.... )
 the dog .... what can I say.... since mum's accident she only gets walks when I feel like it - or she complains for long enough....  she usually wins.... but like the spoilt brat that she is the walks I am willing to give are often not the walks that she thinks she really really needs.


 Yep, we had a storm... a big storm.... lasted two days (I love the fact that I have the weather to blame for not wanting to go outdoors....)  But like most storms - it blew over and by Sunday the weather was beautiful...  The storm left me a little decoration that hung from the light outside the house....



 The dog loves the winter, loves the snow and would prefer to walk and walk and walk... usually with the wind in her back.... which makes for a problem when we need to turn around and go home....
 All around town you see small hillocks of snow... we need to have the roads cleared but they need to put the snow somewhere.  Sometimes it works out well as it creates small hills for kids to sled down.... a paradise for the young or the young at heart - I really need to go and buy a sled for me to use!
So nice, so peaceful and so perfect.   The aftermath of a storm.  (thoughts are with those on the East coast of the USA, hope they are also appreciating the peace after the storm and that life gets back to how it was - or even better!)

Have to say that I am quite happy with the election result in the US.  Wish that we had an easy decision here, the current govt has left me totally disillusioned with what is supposed to be the left, the other option - is NOT an option.  Woe is me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're very happy the election here turned out the way it did as well! (Not all of us, really. But the people in my household). Hope you're enjoying the snow! Also, maybe a post about what you're eluding to about the politics of your country would be interesting to some of us?

Maja said...

I'm glad Obama got back in, too!

Unnur said...

Love the pictures and glad my Henry is feeling better. Also glad about Obama getting another term. Enjoy winter!

olga said...

We were so glad you were around to help with Henry, thank you so much! Translating, organising tyres - couldn't have done it without you!

Oh man, the election. I didn't realise how worried I was about it until it was over! Weird how you can get so invested in something that (ostensibly) doesn't affect you.

xx

northern musings said...

Hey Glenna, one day I will do a post about the local politics that I am involved in.... probably the day before I tell them all where to go and burn all my bridges ;-)

Little Henry is such a cutie... you know that I would do anything for him - or for you, for that matter!

Yep good to know we are all in agreement about election results. Am particularly pleased with the increase in female senators and the two states that approved same sex marriage....