Pages

Monday, July 09, 2007

If you let a pack of dogs loose in a museum, they'll probably tamper with the fossils.

Yesterday was museum day in Iceland, which meant that most museums and exhibitions funded by the government were open free to the public. Our local museum at Glaumbæ puts on a bit of a show and this year Sirrí got mum and the sisters to come and sit in the baðstofa and do some "kveðskap" Icelandic rhyming - I guess you could almost call it rap music from the past. Mum and the sisters looked great and did a splendid job - they were even filmed (for what purpose I am not sure - but great that there will be a record of it for posterities sake).

The highlight of my day was the fact that I could pretend to know something - you see I was in charge of making the butter.

This is a lot harder than you would imagine and tremendously satisfying - especially when it works! According to Sirrí all the butter was eaten (I take that as a sign of a job well done!). Added to this I had the chance of working with Herdís in Áskaffi - love that place!

The museum had a record number of visitors - close to 600 and Herdís had a huge day in the coffee shop too. I think she was down to the last bits of cake and bread and went through 15 litres of hot chocolate!

Life is GOOD!

1 comment:

Maja said...

Wow they do look great, and so do you in your traditional outfit. That's so cool that you made real butter the traditional way. Did you get to try any?

Nice photos :)