Pages

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.



So the dog gives me the look - isn´t it time to go outside now... Well, today is a typical autumn day with a rather large low pressure system moving over the country resulting in extremely stong northerly winds and what can basically be referred to as rather "shitty" weather. Nevertheless, she won (again) and we went for a walk.

The above photo really doesn´t show the extent of the wind force, however, it is one of my favourite shots of the town, looking down from the path up to the cemetary towards the church and old part of town.



If you look carefully you can see the waves at the southern end of the fjord, you can just barely see the mountains on the other side of the fjord. We made it up to the top of the path, with a few doggy stops on the way.



Freyja has such a lovely butt don´t you think, all this long hair - its all a part of her "virgin" queen image.

The new zealanders are in town again for slaughter season, which means that the social life is slightly improved. Funny how when living in a small town, one knows that the microscope of community opinion is on all the time, so going out as a single woman, no matter what the age often incurs a feeling that everyone is looking at you. Being just shy of 45 I have decided that this is something I need to overcome, because surely people have better things to do. Added to that I have been here for 3 years and have felt at times totally invisible, so thinking that I am under a microscope is so utterly far from the truth. Just last week someone asked me whether I was here on holidays. - which basically proves the point. No more hanging at home or being dependent on the relatives to accompany me out. Mind you as I said it helps that the kiwis are here - at least I know that I am bound to see a friendly face.

It´s my nieces birthday today - she turned 30. Strange how her birthday affects my aging more than my own.

4 comments:

Maja said...

Freyja sure does have a hairy butt! But it's cute, for sure!

I know exactly what that horrible wind feels like. If you ask me, windy is one of the worst kinds of weather.

I had that feeling in Iceland that everyone was looking at me, too. I think it's the fact that Icelanders stare so much. Who knows if they're actually taking notice or not. Probably the people who know you would take more notice than anyone else. And all those kids there are so self centred that they probably don't even notice anyone else.

This may sound silly, but I feel a bit less inhibited and less afraid to say what I think now that I'm 30. But I've also got a slightly panicky feeling under the surface about being in my 30's now, like I'm not old yet, but middle age isn't so far off!

I know what you mean about my age affecting your aging. Sharlotte gives me that same feeling! She turns 18 in May next year.

Northern musings said...

So how was the party? Tell me all about it...and what did jj give you for your birthday?

Maja said...

The party was great! I was very glad I cancelled the keg as there weren't enough beer drinkers to have made much of a dent in it.

The night went by like a whirlwind and I felt like I didn't spend enough time talking to anyone. It was great to see the people who came and I had heaps of fun.

Even though I said I didn't want presents, just presence, I got heaps of cool pressies. I didn't have time to take photos of them presents because I was quite hung over the next day and needed to lie on the couch for the bulk of it. Plus there was quite a bit of cleanup to do.

JJ gave me the most fabulous handbag (I'll take a photo when I get home) - it's way cool and stylish and it's my new favourite handbag; the bjork vespertine live dvd (so awesome and so moving I cried while watching it); and a beautiful pendant of a crystal flower on a leather string.. it's so pretty and different, I love it! I was so impressed!

Maja said...

PS I tagged you. muahahaha