Pages

Monday, September 10, 2007

The mountain sheep are sweeter, But the valley sheep are fatter. We therefore deemed it meeter To carry off the latter. - Thomas Love Peacock

Just a quickie

Survived the sheep round up - part 1.

We started off at 6:30 in the morning - rode for a few k´s to meet the rest of the round-up people. Here we divide the hills and valleys between the different crews. We take a valley that runs parallel to the mountain pass.

It was raining - which meant mud and lots and lots of water logged land.. not much fun for horse and rider. However, it did get nicer at around midday. The sheep herding went quite well and we made it down to Kálfadal by 3:30 and then to the main rétt by 5pm. Twas a long and weary day - but very enjoyable - as usual all the pre-roundup jitters were for naught and although tired and sore today I am glad that I did not pike out this year. Am even wondering whether to volunteer for part 2 next weekend - which really is just a nice ride in the park - not so many sheep and just horses that basically follow you home.

Will try and get some photos from Maggi - I think I saw him there with his camera - he was a "hero" rode with sheep over his saddle....

4 comments:

Maja said...

I love horse-riding with a purpose!

tsduff said...

Your life looks so cool. What's an Aussie like you doing in Iceland? I'm jealous.

Northern musings said...

An aussie like me lives in Iceland cos some 45 years ago I was born here, then my parents had the brilliant idea of checking out life on the "other side". After 30 odd years of living in Aus I moved to Germany, and as I was this close, and our old house was for sale for a pittance... i came "home". Twis sweet

tsduff said...

Now I'm REALLY jealous! An Icelander after all! And in your old home to boot. My Sweetie's old home in Hafnarfjordur isn't for sale, nor would it be cheap. sigh. We've been looking at summer houses LOL.