Pages

Friday, February 13, 2009

Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that’s bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers


Yep some more Þorrablót (ie libations to Thor)... some sheepsheads. Maggi actually cooked these and brought them to our private Þorrablót (the Þorrablót for those not invited to Þorrablót).. You see these things are a country thing.. so you need to be invited by a farmer... Usually we get to go with my aunts family from Akrar.. this year they decided not to go.. hence we were þorrablótslaus.. ie without ... so we did our own..


It was yummy. Although it must be said that when we were at the supermarket deciding which choice cuts of sharp and pickled whale to buy the guy behind the counter thought us well below par... What I liked Guðny didn't what she liked I vetoed... however we decided that a little bit of this and a little bit of that would probably do us well.. and such was the case.. a lovely meal was had followed by a game of Islandsspil - Icelands answer to TP ...

Just to give an idea of the temps here in the last couple of weeks.. This is from inside my house - the pantry - 1° C Just as well the rest of the house has geothermal heating.
To totally change the subject this week has been a tough one for all in Aus. I can not imagine what it is like to be in Melbourne right now. I think that I would be a blubbering mess if I was there. It is bad enough logging on to theage.com to read about what has happened. My thoughts are definitely with my antipodean friends.

To finish it off.. Freyja at the dinner table wanting to create her own blog..

8 comments:

Margarita Mirasol said...

I reckon I'd get real skinny if I lived in Iceland.
;)

judith said...

I was thinking the same thing M... I just have this thing about my food on a platter still having a nose on it.

judith said...

Ohh the bread and butter look delightful.

Northern musings said...

mmm sheephead..
The remainder is now being pickled in whey (to make it sour...)

olga said...

Ah yes, of course! What else would you do with sheep face apart from pickle it in whey?
Hmm, Þorri is not my kinda food... The flatbread looks awesome, though!

-1 in the pantry? Whoa! Are you allowed to smoke in the house yet? You'd think that sub-zero conditions would change the rules.
x

Maja said...

Who needs a fridge when your pantry is that cold!

Hey Maria and jomamma I reckon you wouldn't. Food in Iceland is yummy, despite the variety of weird things you could get to eat. The rest is divine.

ZUBA said...

Mmmm, sheep's head. Reminds me of the pig we spit roasted at a camping trip and the meet off the cheeks was delightful!!!!

The fires were pretty bad here. Most people know someone who is directly or indirectly affected and talking to a couple of firefighters who were there you get a bit of an idea of what actually happened. What makes it worse is that one of the blazes that killed people was deliberately lit and there is evidence that the Marysville one was also arson.

tsduff said...

Freyja the dog Goddess can pull it off if anyone can :) Loved your post - although I have not yet tried the sheeps head which I've seen frozen like a rock in the supermarket there, I'm game. I sometimes wish I was born in Iceland - or that my Icelandic Mama in Law could adopt me.