Pages

Monday, February 23, 2009

Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.


I was going to post some photos and then realised that they were of the same old thing as usual... snow, darkness and food.

These last two weeks have been rather busy, especially this last weekend. Yesterday the family was over for dinner (dads brother his wife, children, grandchildren, along with me Maggi, his sister Kristin and her boyfriend Reynir). The menu was pie themed, fish pie, beef and mushroom bake, egg and bacon quiche, and for those not pastry oriented I had a fillet of horse goulash. All served with mashed potatoes, peas, corn, salads and the like... I call it a success as all the food was eaten. Mum supplied two great cheesecakes with berries from last autumn, one blueberry the other strawberry... just yum.
Saturday night was the last night of Þorri (The feast of Thor - ie that food again), twas yummy. A great night with great people (I have somehow been allowed to join the group of people that work at the museum, for the national heritage trust and for the Institute of Natural History... so the conversation was lively and fascinating. I really love these people..
Tonight was dinner at my cousins, lovely lamb.. just can´t beat it - she is a natural entrepreneur... runs the cafe at the outdoor museum and the handicrafts store here in town... Anyway, her latest idea is to try and get the old post office building and turn it into a net cafe and information centre. It's going to be great... So sister dear - there is a vacancy for you here - in case you are interested!!! Brothers and brother in law - I am sure that your handymanny skills would be appreciated any time you are here.
Mum is in Hveragerði "spari dagar" with the oldies - its when the old folks go off to a Hotel in the south of Iceland, spend time eating, drinking, dancing and generally just having a good time. I can´t wait to get old. They have a better social life than us middle aged folk.
Boring post - but informative to the relations...
More later

6 comments:

judith said...

Your culture fascinates me!

olga said...

Yes yes, informative and makes me miss being there! Big family dinner sounds great, can't wait to see all the relatives in summer... And yes, I think success means all the food gets eaten.. Or maybe it's success to have delicious leftovers!
Hmm, if there's any renovating going on while we're there, Ross and I will be happy to help out!
xx

Maja said...

Yum, food makes the world go round.

Herdis' idea is fantastic! S'krokur needs something like that, for sure.

xx

Valdi said...

It never ceases to amze me how much your pics make me miss iceland! I especially miss snow. Maybe next year i'll make it over there.... stupid career!

Btw, i RSS your blog, so even though i may rarely comment i do read :) Give my love to all the famly.. yourself included.

Northern musings said...

Thanks guys.. Nice to know you are reading Valdi - give my love to Kristen. Hope that the career is going as well as intended? and congrats on the degree too!!! Well done!

tsduff said...

That would be a cool job - taking any English only employees? *sigh* I think I'm an Icelander in an American's skin.