Pages

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Having a sister is like having a best friend you can't get rid of. You know whatever you do, they'll still be there. ~Amy Li

Have I told you about the greatest most influential person in my life? Probably not, as I tend to take her for granted. She has always been there for me - more so than I for her. I doubt that I will ever be as good a sister to her as she has been to me. It´s probably a part of the fact that I am the younger one, and as such always expected people to react and do stuff for me rather than me for them.
My sister has been the red thread that has held us together, she cares more for family than any of us. We take each other totally for granted, we don´t stay in touch, we hardly ever pick up the phone. Probably cos we knew that she would do that... she would be the one to call to find out how things are - keeping a track of each of us to make sure that contact would not be lost.
In English "she" is the cats mother... in our family "she" is my big sis Unnur. A woman that I have always taken for granted all through my youth. Now that I think that I am grown up I probably never show her the respect and love that I have for her - I expect her to know this.
But there comes a time when you have to say or write for all the world to read the fact that she means so much to me. I need for her to be strong, to be the woman that I will never be, a wife, a mother, a grandmother, a big sister...
Our brothers reading this are probably all thinking that I must be on at least the third bottle of the evening, but no, that is not the case, nor should my sister feel that I am writing this out of some sort of misfelt guilt... It is just the right time. Most would think that you could just say this face to face. But not in my family, talk about repressed emotionally, thats us. (ok Himmi maybe you are excluded from this).
My sis is the mother of three wonderful children.
And... she is my sister

A wonderful person in her own right!

6 comments:

judith said...

You are so sweet.

Maja said...

Lovely tribute :)

I'm a big fan of the blog medium for expressing myself, too, though I've been forcing myself to say things out loud in the moment as well and the more you do it the easier it gets. Mostly.

Unnur is definitely the person that keeps in touch with everyone, wouldn't it be amazing if we could all be more like her. I have a bit of anxiety about picking up the phone and calling people myself. I think it's some sort of irrational fear of rejection thing.

olga said...

Hear, hear. Very nice.

Yeah, Maja, I guess it's just a matter of practise - doing it intentionally until it comes naturally... maybe?

In the meantime, I guess the blogging is a pretty good substitute!
love olga x

Johanna said...

Dear Sigga - you said it ALL !!! And I totally agree with you - your big sister is the most wonderful person - she would give her soul to you if she could....
And I could say the same thing about you - you guys are the BEST nieces I could ever have wished for....
The thing about expressing ourselves face to face - is the same in my "leg" of the big family - but it is getting better -you just have to start saying "I love you" today - not delaying it until tomorrow!!! I came to realize that I might not HAVE tomorrow - so I started hugging my family left-right-and center - telling them that I loved them - some did NOT like it very much at first - but they are getting used to it - probably writing it on that I am "loosing it" anyway;°)...
but it worked....;°)...
All in all - you and Unnur "rock" - and I LOVE YOU VERY VERY MUCH...
So does the rest of the family...

tsduff said...

I loved reading about your sister. I have 3 sisters left (lost one) and one brother - the sisters are something I wish every girl could have. xo

judith said...

I agree tsduff, especially when they are your best friend.