Pages

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that. ~Michael Leunig

Get ready for a really really long post. this is the story of the last three weeks of my life. The best three weeks that I have had for a long time, and I do have a lot of people to thank for that. Flickr probably has hundreds of photos documenting it all, so I picked a few to jog my memory to document it on my blog. It all began with the first visitors. First came Kristinn, my nephew, shortly followed by his friend Troy (whose uncle tony was a school with me) and Troys girlfriend Liz/Lisa (do I need to tell you how bad I am with names??). Absolutely brilliant guests! Then came my sister Unnur and husband Thor.

Think this was taken after dinner, obviously concentrating on something...
Then came Lummudagar - a celebration in the town for no reason - but a great weekend, where different sections of the town took on different colours, here in the old town the theme colour was blue, but before then we went down to the beach on a spectacular sunset night. We walked the length of the rock garden -'twas great.
On the Friday night there was a fire down at the beach and entertainment put on by local bands and theatre artists. The aussies - shown above on the rocks provided further entertainment by playing a game of kick footy on the shoreline below the rocks. This was when Dean (my niece's boyfriend discovered that he had probably broken something in his leg three weeks before getting here...)
This is Tryggvi - he has a great face - you can see that he has lived a full life - such a happy chap. and he is also my life saver when the storeroom is too full of bottles and cans and I haven´t made it to the recycling place...
Troy became a hero (his nickname is danger troy) and went out into the fjord to save the ball that had been kicked out onto the water. He tells me the water was fine - cold - but fine
After the fire we went back home and enjoyed a few drinks by the side of the house, by this time Olga and Ross had arrived as well as Anna and Dean.
The next day there was a mini festival in the town which included a procession into town that re-enacted the olden days when farmers came in with wool and other products to sell for goods such as sugar and coffee. They were just brilliant.
Bjarni and Laufey getting into the swing of things. (they are old co-workers from my time at Holar)
Then we went fishing, and met with my cousin Þórólfur, who promptly caught a trout on arrival. Thor assist with the landing. We ate it for dinner....
Each street was to have a street party - us being us - changed things and made it a party in the lane with friends and family who were not too worried about pissing off the neighbours. Here is Silla (my neighbour) and Steina (cousins daughter) enjoying the post dinner cool breeze.
There were a few of us, my cousin Johanna and I took care of the cooking, during which she commented that we may not have enough food.... This is not possible... we had plenty of left overs. Was a really good night.
Anna looking worried, Olga looking like she is interogating Ross and Ross obviously concentrating on something else...
As the week progressed more and more people began arriving. Thankfully the weather Gods were smiling on us and made it possible for us to eat outside on most nights.
France Nick and Eva in the foreground, Jess, Ross, Joe and Andy standing behind, sitting Maja, Bridget, Jade and Olga
Getting ready, mum Vicky doing some ironing for her boys, for some reason Ross is on the computer - I think he was getting the music ready for the reception. Which by the way never worked and they still have the discs there.....
The reception was held at Mælifell and in the morning my cousins Johanna, Guðny, Steina and Þórdís took care of things - the theme was simple nature so the vases were tin cans with fish leather stuck on them and wild flowers that we had picked the night before. It was amazing.. just so pretty.
The wedding, Ross asked his mum to be his witness and Olga asked that I be hers, (yes I teared up).. Vicky is just such an amazing person. and as you can see she loves her little boy so much and like me knew that he was marrying an amazing girl.
Being in the front of the church I could take this snap of the Priest Sigga blessing the ring and joining them in marriage. Icelandic wedding ceremonies are just so nice, they are simple and heartfelt. Ahhhh, I smile everytime I think about this moment. Just so precious.
My cousins arranged to borrow this VW to take the bride and groom for a spin before arriving at the reception.
Mum helping Olga take the top off the cake, there were probably around 80 people there - who knows, anywho mum did a great job on all the cream cakes, I did the mayonaise sandwich cakes and Robert the baker did the wedding cake, Herdís cousin the sherry cake, her mum the special fried bread (served with salmon) It was all very nice, even if I say so myself.
After the cake reception we headed to Reykir for a grill party - The bride and groom and anyone else who felt like it were to spend the night there. Above are Guðný and Sirrý - my most favourite folk in the world.
Herdís and mum appropriately attired in Icelandic wool. The wind came up and made things a tad cool.
The children of Sigurþór - Kristinn, Anna and Olga... they are the greatest!
The children Di Blasio - Jess, Ross, Dom and Eva - they are just such wonderful beautiful people - my life is so much the better for having met them and for having Ross now a part of my extended family!
After the grill some of them went for a dip in the hot water spring. If you enlarge this you will see heat lines on some of the people sitting in the pool. Hot water, cold air - it is a special look.
Next day was left overs here at my place, then the following day Franca (pictured) with Nick (the father of Ross) and Ross' help made the best pasta sauce that I have had for well ever. Which we served along with salmon, whale and the cod that Jess had caught.
Excellent brothers, Jess and Ross
An excellent couple - Ross and Olga Di Blasio
On the Tuesday night my work went for a walk and had a grill party out in the country to say goodbye to Vesteinn (pictured) who is retiring. The photo shows the country over which we walked - it was a perfect night and a great walk
We also went horseriding, poor Dean (pictured) felt major pain in his broken leg when he got on the horse - but he sucked it in and came along with us. My camera was misbehaving hence the shutter did not open properly... Still thats him on the horsey.
By this time most had left and so Jade, Olga, Bridget, the dog and I went to see the sunset down on the sands.
You can just barely make out the moon rising in the back ground.
We then went to check out the dried fish racks... my favourite photo frame

Then to top things off today was the 90th birthday of a local shop - the shop where you can get anything and everything - so long as it is not fresh, from clothes, to food, to shoes, to decorations, to petrol, gas whatever. Bjarni Har is the son of the original proprietor and he has been working at the shop since he was about 10, the whole town turned out and it was again... a great day.

As you can tell, life has been busy, full and obviously wonderful. thanks to everyone that came and made it so.

I love my family

4 comments:

judith said...

What a great post, I'm not a fan of weddings in the US and what kind of fiasco/circus they have become, but I think I would truly enjoy a Icelandic wedding. Love the simplicity of it all. I may have to come to Iceland one of these days. In the summer... I'm not a fan of the cold. I'd like to pick up some yarn and some tips on Icelandic knitting patterns.

A few questions:
Fish leather? Is that what I think it is? I didn't know you were supposed to save that.

Mayonnaise sandwich cake? Is this something Paula Deen needs to know about? What's in it?

How many hours of sunlight are you having at this time of the year?

It's so funny to see you all in jackets and sweaters and we're down here drenched in sweat in 103 degree heat. What's the average high for this time of year? I know, I'm such a Geography/Social Studies geek.

Northern musings said...

Hey Jomamma,
You are always most welcome to come for a visit in Iceland - as you can see we love getting visitors and trying to impress them with the countryside, hospitality and all sorts of other crap.
Fish leather is exactly what it is.. they have figured out a way to cure fish skins into a very soft leather which is exported to Paris (Jean Paul Gaultier) and to Germany - Adidas shoes... so anywhere you see something that vaguely resembles crocodile skin, well its probably fish leather from my little town.
Mayonaise sandwich cake - the bread is cut lengthways rather than up and down for sandwich bread, so you have long bits of bread, in between you put your mayo salad of choice - tuna and onion, mayo and sour cream (all mixed together) or prawns and egg (also in the mayo and sour cream mix) or smoked lamb with peas and carrots - yeh that one is a bit odd but tastes good, the crusts are cut off and then the cake is decorated with more mayo and sour cream mix, cucumber and capsicum.
Sunlight at the moment is around 10 - 11 hours with 2 hours of twilight.
We have actually had a heat wave - highest temps since my first summer here in 2004 (which itself was a record year) the average is in the high teens low twenties (celcius), people were actually getting sunburnt!! The wind is what makes it necessary for the coats and jumpers, no wind and you are complaining about the heat! (well I am). The usual average for summer is around 14°C

judith said...

So 14c - 20c is like 57-68 degrees... I'd still be pretty cold. I'm so acclimated to the heat. We have a good 15 1/2 hours of sun in the summer with 'daylight savings time', I like it. Not a fan of the shorter days of winter.

Mayo cake... sounds pretty good. Especially mayo and sour cream.

Glad your little village has a unique product to sell to the world, that's pretty cool.

Maja said...

*sigh* It's all beautiful. Miss you all! xoxoxox