Pages

Friday, July 24, 2009

Never judge a book by its movie. ~J.W. Eagan

Well, as I can not find my camera there will be no photos with this post.

However, I felt that it was time to give you something new to look at.

So, whats been happening?

Anna and Dean left last Saturday, Kristin and Reynir came up from Reykjavik so the dinner table still had more than just me and mum sitting to dinner. Reynir and Maggi went rafting on the Austur á - apparently a major adreniline rush - one that I am quite happy to let go by me big time. Whilst they were trying to drown themselves in rapids, Kristin and I started looking at the web sites for accommodation for them in Germany. As usual the properties are really expensive and the nebenkosten very very variable. In Germany you pay a basic cold rent + this thing called nebenkosten - which covers the communal costs of the block plus extras, cable tv etc. Reynir is going over first so it is going to be up to him to find a flat for them asap.

Anna and Dean left Iceland for London on Tuesday and from all reports arrived safe and well.

The quote is in reference to the fact that there is a film company in town at the moment filming the movie version of the book Rokkland (windy land), which is set in Sauðárkrókur. I haven´t read the book, but I have heard that 1... it´s really really good and 2. it´s the worst book I have ever read... so, we shall see. The first day of shooting was outside mums - they were using the shop next door as a location shoot... the director also asked mum to take part - she declined.

Mum was also in the news this week - in Morgunblaðið - the main paper in Iceland, a half page spread where she retold the events around us leaving Iceland to move to Australia back in 1968 and her subsequent return. I get an honorary mention as the darling young one.... as to be expected... nah. I think that she may have exagerated a little, but it was nice.

I was alone at work this week as the office is still closed and everyone else had holiday days to take - as I had only started in jan I haven´t accrued enough days to take the whole three weeks off... Next year!

So, now it is the weekend, time to try and reclaim some floor in this house (ie muck out the crap) and basically take it easy. We may have visitors though - my aunt and uncle were thinking of coming up - hope so, we bought a leg of lamb and it would be too much for me and mum alone (mind you Freyja would be happy).

Politically and economically this country is still a basket case, we are being bullied by the Dutch and English - to sign the future of this country away in debt repayment for debts that were accrued by unscrupulous business men. It is so sordid - the way such a few people have managed to get away with corporate theft and the country and it´s people will be the ones to suffer. So so annoying, my blood boils thinking about it so I won´t discuss it - again I recomment the Iceland weather report for updates on the latest scandal.

later folks

5 comments:

Maja said...

Commenting from my phone, what's this about Reynir and Kristin going to germany, you write like you've mentioned it already. I don't think you have.

I'm disappointed amma didn't take part in the movie... She could live forever on film... Please send my love to her. I do miss you guys.

It is totally unfair what has happened in Iceland. They should throw those bastards in jail. Yesterday!

Have fun relaxing xoxox

Have fun relaxing xoxo

Northern musings said...

Oh dear, I am slack. Yep Reynir is going to Frankfurt to do his Phd and Kristin is ofcourse going with him. Yeh mum should have been in it - but hey - it´s going to be a crap movie. So probably good she is not in it - she will hang out for the big one.... More and more crap is coming out about the owners of Landsbanki... urgh..
Miss you heaps - come to Iceland SOON!!!

Maja said...

Ah! That will be a bit of an adventure for them both!

JJ and I plan to come to Iceland at some stage, but I don't know when. I don't think it will be this year. Time sure does fly by...

Magnusson said...

Don't read your blog often enough Sigga. Get behind with the news of whats going on in skrokur. I like hearing that the family is all well even if the country is sinking under the debts accrued by the few who should in my opinion be given the Guantanamo Bay treatment until they cough up what's left of what they have stolen over the years. En þessi flottræflaháttur sem leiddi til þessara skulda er ekkert nýtt fyrirbæri á Íslandi. Þessi þróun var hafin þegar við fórum 1968.

northern musings said...

Totally true Jómbi, I have absolutely no sympathy for any of the folk that went willingly into huge debt in order to finance overseas holidays, trailers, huge cars etc. Still, the way things are going with the government and all the crap that keeps coming out, you sort of are left wondering what will be in store in the future - and if anyone has actually learnt anything from this mess.