Pages

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

17th June - Icelands Independence Day

Today, the 17th of June, Iceland celebrates it's independence day - independence from Danish Rule in 1944, see we used the fact that they were then under German occupation to say na na na na na... we are going to rule ourselves now. Well, what a great job we have done so far.
Nevertheless, today was a good day in Sauðárkrókur.. Across the road the Madams had their little shop open where folk could come and sell their home made goods (too pricey for me - but rather lovely), they all dress in pseudo traditional dress.

Kaffi Krók had it´s official opening and the madams helped out by baking the cakes and breads that made up the coffee buffet - all you can eat for isk 1.500. Twas rather tasty and nice to sit out the front of KK pity though that the interio decor is not in keeping with the style of the house, hence no photos from inside.

Some of the madams hanging outside the front of KK waiting for customers ????
Another event of the day, my darling brother came and replaced another window in the house
The view is so much nicer now I think...
Another painting job this weekend...

3 comments:

Margarita Mirasol said...

That window change has made all the difference. Love it. Looks cosy from the outside, too.
Tee hee @ madams.

judith said...

I was thinking the same thing... I really like those windows. Ha, the madams....

tsduff said...

I swear, that place looks exactly like the bakery in Husavik - my Bjarni and I sat outside eating yummys whilst the little kiddos from the next door nursery school paraded by holding each others' hands... so cute!

My Bjarni is in Reykjavik right now, and I'm sad that I'm not with him. He is seeking out avenues in the biofuel business... oh, if only we could move to Iceland !!