Pages

Sunday, August 16, 2009

It's that time of year again

Yep that's right it's berry time, the blue berries as you can see are only just turning blue so it is still very early on in the season, but this does not stop my mother - berry queen picker. It doesn't matter how bad her back is or how tired she is she always takes every opportunity to go berry picking. So after a rather "heavy" Friday night, she got me to take her at 2pm on the Saturday - twas probably the best thing for me.
Mum in her berry picking outfit - she lies amid the growth and picks and picks and picks....
Freyja and I meanwhile wonder around and look perplexed. I did also try and pick some but Freyja was intent on surveying the surroundings. I couldn't let her run free as we were just above the paddocks where horses were grazing and I wasn't in the mood for chasing her around and then exlpaining myself to angry horse owners.
She found this most unjust! Then in the evening it was food from the middle ages. Saturday was a day for Sturlunga. Sturlunga is a saga which documents one of the bloodiest fueds in Icelands history, and it took place here in Skagafjordur. At the moment there is a group active in the fjord promoting the different areas where the different battles took place and making the saga a living thing... Cultural / historical tourism at it's best. I hadn't taken part in any of the days activities I just went to the dinner that was held in the evening - with the bestest of people.. family and friends anywho, the menu was to be based around food that the folk of the time would have had available to them, a part of the evening's entertainment was the band Voces Thules - they were brilliant.
Also a writer Einar Kárason (the head on the left) said a few words as well as a few other local identities. Now to the important bits -- the food:
Entré dried fish, salt fish mush on rye bread, smoked beef tongue, lamb pate and flat bread.
Main - Icelandic lamb soup... had quite a bit of pepper and I didn't find any lamb but did get lots and lots of bláberg which I think is wild thyme.

More mains, lots of barley type things, honey and almond arctic charr, wild salads, turnip mash and for those that like the pig, they had an apparently really good crackling...
I forgot to take a picture of dessert, but it was skyr (Icelandic cheesy joghurt thing) served with blue berries (but apparently very sour - sugar was not readily available in the year 1200 you know) ábristir (spelling probably wrong), which is the first milk from a cow after she has calved. You heat it in a bowl over boiling water - becomes sort of custardy, I love it - but not many of my friends do... then there was mountain grass milk.... which is apparently very good for you - need I say more.
Twas a good night, I learnt a little about the saga and feel that now I really should try and read the damn thing....
Friday night.. was Buff night - the guys that came to the wedding will know that a good time was had by all.... they are an amazing cover band - play nothing but happy tunes but they all look really depressed doing so. Classic.

8 comments:

judith said...

I love it when you post about your culture. Happy songs being sung by a depressed looking band... I bet that was good.

Maja said...

I read njal's saga in english. I think the sagas stay pretty interesting what with all the violence and intrigue. I'd miss too much reading it in Icelandic without an Icelandic English dictionary on hand. Not reading for the plane, that's for sure.

Berries and skyr, yum yum yum!! You're making me hungry and that's saying something considering the swollen belly full of Aussie BBQ food I'm currently nursing.

Amma is on a mission when it comes to berries, that's for sure. I sent a card but it's probably too much to hope it's arrived already so please wish her a happy birthday from me. I'm at work until Tuesday so I'll call you guys when I get home Tuesday nite.

Love you xoxo

northern musings said...

Amma has gone to Rvk and will be away for a week, will let her know that you left a message! She went today and picked for 2 hours, 3 hours yesterday.... So far we have 10 jars of jam.... but it´s nice jelly like jam - no icky bits in it, also 4 jars of strawberry we are all jammed out...

elín said...

Just wanted to say "hi" in case you are wondering who in minneapolis is reading your blog! I found your blog when searching for this year´s date for the horse rettir in Skagafjorður and have enjoyed reading your posts! I spent a summer in Hofsós working at the restaurant there, so I am absolutely in love with the area and some of "my people" come from farms around Hofsós. Anywho, your dog is beautiful,and you seem to be enjoying your new life in Krokur!

northern musings said...

Thanks Elín - welcome to my world, often not very interesting and often not very updated - but I try, not sure when réttir will be this year - they haven´t advertised any dates as yet - but I will post them or a link once I know...

elín said...

Takk! It was very interesting to find someone raised in Australia returning to Iceland ... your life is more interesting then you might think! And I am a big fan of dogs and old Icelandic ladies (our "mums" are about the same age). While searching for rettir dates, I also found a guy attending Holar whose blog is called "Big Hairy American". Pretty amusing - got a peek into all sort of lives, but no firm dates. Should of known it is too early for any icelander to make a plan.

northern musings said...

The rettir dates are now available on www.visitskagafjordur.com
the actual link is
http://www.visitskagafjordur.is/Default.aspx?id=4157
The hairy american is a masters student that started at Holar just as I was leaving my job there. There are always quite a few foreign students studying there. At the moment there are at least 3 from the US a guy from NZ, I think one from portugal and two french girls... thats just in the aquaculture side and then ofcourse on the equine sciences there are always lots and lots of europeans (mainly german, finnish and swedish)

elín said...

Thank you again!