Pages

Monday, October 19, 2009

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. ~Winston Churchills

Well, there is also something good about the body of a horse that is good for the inside of a man....
This time last year I posted about the horse feast... well take 2 was last weekend. I again did not take my camera and I also had no Maggi with a mobile phone camera thingy... so no shots this year
http://freyjadog.blogspot.com/2008/10/lovely-horse-is-always-experience-it-is.html

Needless to say the food was fantastic, the entertainment also very good - very typically Icelandic with my uncle Siggi and Joi frá Stapa reciting Icelandic verse in the old fashion. Jón and Stefán Gísla with their squeeze boxes and Bjarni Marons was the mc. None of this will mean anything to most of you - but it will help me to remember...

I feel I need to post photos of something... so I am "borrowing some from the website of sögusetur íslenska hestsins

One of the two entrés - this is Abel the horse re-incarnated as a finely sliced bit of salted/smoked horse meat done according to a North Italian recipe.... twas very tasty..
This is the main - which we received at around 11pm... it was a long night... again. . wonderful, served with a wild mushroom sauce.
This is one of the two desserts.... mares milk gelato and mares milk icecream... with wild berries and pears. again.. very tasty.

Next weekend there will be another thingy happening in Varmahlíð - this time the red cross is the organiser, some sort of world festival of music thing with food from many nations served in the interval. Mum and I have been roped in to provide food from Aus... Now tell me what is typically Australian, well, I have no idea, so I made ANZAC buscuits, yes I baked... I also made sausage rolls - not typically Australian - but near enough is good enough, and then I thought maybe some lamingtons would be ideal. Problem is my sponge fell apart... I am getting mum to do a sponge for me instead - then I will do the cocoa and coconut thing. If you guys have any ideas then I would be most grateful. I think it´s sort of lame as now I have been here for 5 years and away from Aus for 9 so feeling less and less Australian.

Unfortunately there is no roo meat in the KS at the mo.. and I have never seen emu in the freezer area so they are both off the list of potential Australian foods.

So as you can see life is good, very good. Oh, I made fish and chips for dinner - first time ever and it worked. Beer batter is the best batter.

4 comments:

Vicki said...

Aussie national food how about a Pavlova and or Damper?

Kerry and Stephen said...

Yeah, I think Meat Pie and tomato sauce and Pavlova

Northern musings said...

So far we have lamingtons, little mini meat pie thingies, sausage rolls and anzac buscuits. I might make damper on Saturday and serve it up with vegemite... that will turn them away....
Will let you know how the evening goes.

Anonymous said...

Damper and pumpkin scones, Tea brewed in a billy. Also lamb chops on the barby. Or a traditional Gunfire brekky i.e Bundy rum with coffee.