Pages

Monday, May 24, 2010

The antidote for fifty enemies is one friend. ~Aristotle


Twas an interesting weekend this weekend  - a good one - started on Friday with a day off from work to do some politicising in the fjord, went visiting farms and friends on the other side of the fjord as well as meeting with the staff at Holar and the primary school.  Must admit that I had a great time.  Drank lots and lots of coffee, tea and water, discussed the issues of the day and what people really want to see in the fjord.  Most of the folk that I visited are not going to vote for me - but thats ok.  All great people that I know will stand me in good stead when I need advice on what the real issues are.  Friday night my friend from when I was five took the flight north into the unknown to spend the weekend with me.  This is Bergþóra mín, She is exactly one year older than me and apparently as kids we were unseparable, just like then, she is half my size and a lot more demure than me.  A divorced mother of two she is making the best of the trials and tribulations of her life.  Now studying nursing and working and a full time mum... Got to admire that!.

We had a quiet night on the Friday, went to the shops on Saturday - dropped her off with an old friend in the afternoon and then we had dinner with Guðný and ma.  Twas a good night, even though the picture above would indicate otherwise... 

We went to Mælifell, where all the kids were celebrating their graduation from college, there were also some oldies there (actually older than me! celebrating something else...) Bergþóra gave up on us - umm yes, perhaps I wasn´t behaving as a politician should... However, as I said twas a good night.  Next day we went for a bit of a walk up the hill, through the little forest on the hill.  The picture below is at the "bowl" where all kids of this part of town have had as a hide out - a viewing platform for the town below.  The current generation has actually built a shelter there with old tin, fence posts and moss.. Very impressive.
On the Saturday mum and I went to the graduation coffee being held at my sisters best friends house - her two children both graduated - she is a very proud mum!  More photos on flickr for the family in Aus to check out.  But I thought this one was great - two very proud ammas.  Herdis' mum Ása and my mum.  They are two amazing ladies that have produced amazing offspring for which they can both be very very proud!  Love 'em!!!
Today was a public holiday, so ma and I went to visit friends at Sævarland just north of the town at the base of Tindastóll, they were in the sheep sheds doing the lambing thing.  I took my camera but forgot to take photos!!! bad me... We also went to Tunga and all is well there.  I needn't say that the weather this weekend has been just superb.  Freyja got to come with us - we let her run free where there were no sheep and lambs - she had a very very good day and is very happy with me - and quite tired.    
So tomorrow is work again and more election stuff... the election is on Saturday - at this stage it looks like there is a lot of apathy in the area, folk really can't be bothered voting - even my uncle said he wasn't going to vote.  Although I did comment whether he wouldn't make the effort for his niece - he smiled and asked whether the election was on Saturday.... so maybe he will go and do his bit for me... mind you I can't blaim him.  I so understand this lack of interest... so it will be interesting!  Will keep you informed.

3 comments:

Maja said...

I'm amazed people don't want to vote, after what Iceland has been through. Are the pickings that slim? They should certainly make the effort to vote for YOU.

So are we aussies eligible to vote?

northern musings said...

thanks sweety - apparently there was an error in the list and only those that are currently living in Scandinavian countries can vote... oh well.

Magnusson said...

Good luck Sigga, you could have my proxy - if such a thing existed. I did vote in 1986 at Kári´s behest but he made sure we were put on the roll. You know your task is to help the ´progressive party´ to turn left away from the abyss.