Pages

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

No matter how carefully you stored the lights last year, they will be snarled again this Christmas. ~Robert Kirby

 The first of the lights went up on the weekend.... yep, Christmas is approaching, the first week of advent starts this weekend.... the town is starting to change, lights are being put up in windows and on balconies.  At this time of year it is so amazing what this addition of light in life makes. 
 Candles are an important part of Christmas tradition in Iceland, in the days when money was tight you could at least expect to get something new to wear (thanks to the tradition of the Christmas cat) or candles and cards.  Something to light up the darkness.


So tonight mum, my cousin Herdis and Maggi were over for dinner and as I was clearing up I noticed my cupboard was leaning to the right, which had to be fixed... as you do ... which lead to cleaning and bringing out the Christmas stuff, so here they are:
The "bad guys" of Christmas, leppa lúði, Grýla and the jóla köttur, leppa lúði is the husband of Grýla - she takes the bad kids in a sack and eats them (according to tradition) the cat comes to get you if you don't have any new clothes (he was created long before materialism took over the Christmas spirit).  I kind of like the fact that he was there - he ensured that even the poorest of the poor tried to make sure that kids got something new to wear, whether it be socks, jocks, or mittens.

Meanwhile in Europe St Nicholas became the symbol of Christmas.
 He took on other forms, usually with a white bushy beard and a nice jolly face.
 But for me Christmas is still about the "birthday" of a very special person, if only we actually all truly lived according to his teachings.  Love thy neighbor as thyself, don't judge others, be thankful for what you have and  if the wine runs out at the wedding, make sure you can provide the necessary...
 In other words, live life, enjoy, love all you can for as long as you can and basically - be nice!

6 comments:

Unnur said...

Beautiful decorations! I love Christmas. Saw a quote on an apron. " I'd like a white Christmas and when the white runs out I'll have red."

Johanna said...

I couldn´t agree with you more Sigga min... and those photos made me homesick.... I LOVE CHRISTMAS .. and they are very very special in Iceland...
O well - I´ll be home for new year - even though I HAVE to stay in Kopavogur... I would much rather take the kids to Saudarkrokur and spend it there, but I understand that Steina and Sorin want to spend new year at their home - and were the kids - there am I....;°)...
So be merry - drink both white and red - and I´ll see you next year... love ya

judith said...

Nicely said.

222 said...

I love your Christmas decorations. Your house looks lovely every year. Love the first pic especially.

222 said...

Totally unrelated to your lovely christmas decorations but I was looking at how beautiful and untouched Iceland is, where you live and so on, and thought that it's like livin' life on a boat, where you're so close to the elements and the beauty everyday, and compared your lifestyle, with all the crazy freneticism of other places on the globe, and thought, 'she's one lucky lady'. Bet you can't wait for that mad couple from Oz to arrive. Have fun y'all!

northern musings said...

Thanks Maria - yeh this is a pretty special place to live and I am very grateful for it. Now the snow has arrived and the lights are coming up on most houses.... really looking good. The toppings are here - so good to have them here with us.