Pages

Sunday, November 13, 2011

The only difference between men and boys is the cost of their toys. ~Author Unknown

 Went for a walk with the dog on the beach today.... twas another great day in the fjord...
 She was really really happy with this as I had been a bit slack yesterday - had other things to do
 She so loves being out and about....  So what was I doing on Saturday... something that if you had told me a few years ago - I would have scoffed..... Well yesterday I was the designated driver for some men that needed to check out other mens toys.  This weekend in the equestrian centre they had a showing of the toys that belong to the men of the fjord.
 There were cars... lots of modified 4 x 4 vehicles.  They even had a mini theatre showing a dvd of their adventures in the mountains and on glaciers... looked like there was a little bit too much adrenalin for me (by the way I borrowed these photos from a facebook friend - who remembered to have her camera with her.... thanks Sædís)
 Then there's the snowmobiles or ski-doos...... these were of the racing variety..... also watched a video of some extreme ski-dooers that jumped off the side of cliffs on their ski-doos and managed to survive.... the bottom of me feet were tingling - my fear of heights is getting rather uncontrollable.
 In the foyer we had the gun collections - this is apparently only a small small percentage of the guns owned in the fjord.... so I reckon if we get invaded there is not a problem to arm the natives..... my goodness me..... 


Yesterday I proved how patient and loving a person I can be - I spent five hours (yes 5 hours) at the show.... wandering around - but at least these days I know enough people that I can stop and have a chat with just about everyone.  Then I continued on in my role as driver and went to a house just outside of town where I ate svið (sheeps head) - as I hadn't eaten anything all day - it really hit the spot and tasted quite yum... Still don't eat the eye though...


After dinner more and more folk arrived and a typical Icelandic party ensued - lots and lots of landi (thanks to moi driving back into town to pick up some more)  lots of singing and general frivolity.  Twas a good night - and knowing that I can be a designated driver and still enjoy myself amongst the drunk, very drunk and very very very drunk was an added bonus.  It was also good to see that Icelanders still do the old traditional thing and party at home and sing and talk and sing and talk.... 


The week that was, was a good one, I have moved desks and there are no longer 50 files on the floor - they are now in shelves and the whole office looks so much better.... I had created a pit of paper work all around me.  In EXCELLENT news my cousin Beta had a baby girl this morning.  Today was her first wedding anniversary and the birthday of her grandmother Beta, whom she loved dearly - good all round!  My niece Anna has booked her ticket and is coming in December - and my niece Maja is expected here in less than two weeks..... 


Love my life, love my family...... yep folks... life is brilliant as usual

4 comments:

Unnur said...

You must be in luv to go to that!

Maja said...

When I first found out I was pregnant i was a bit bummed to not be able to enjoy some wine with Jason and our friends, especially when we went to Margaret River, but I'm over it now, and I don't mind sitting at a pub drinking non-alcoholic drinks. I even forget that I'm not drinking booze and everyone else is! It's a misperception to think that you can't have fun without drinking.

Can't wait to come and not drink with you! I'll drink tea or coke or something...

Anonymous said...

The more I read your blog, the more Iceland sounds awesome. How did you end up living their? I always wonder that about people, what makes them move to certain places.

Northern musings said...

I was born in Iceland way back in the dim dark ages, then my parents moved to Australia in 1968, being only on my sixth year I had no say in the move - so I lived there until 2001 (coming to Iceland for many visits and longer stays in between). My parents moved back in 1987 (I was living here then) and then in 2001 I moved (with work) to Germany, managed to buy this house while living there, and rather than be transferred to New Zealand I left my job and moved here to my old home time and live in my old house..... this blog is full of stuff about the moves and my life over the years..... A lot of it is boring - but I do try to pep it up with pictures as well.... So, if ever you think of visiting this rock in the north - be sure to let me know!