Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. ~Scott Adams

My dog loves my sister A LOT, here she is showing ownership of her!  I also love my sister A LOT and am going to miss her so much when she goes.....   Still, we are used to this - the hellos and goodbyes are nothing new to us.   I know I will see her again soon, and that whilst we are apart we are still together, technology lets us talk to each other whenever we want.  A part of our sister bonding was a course in book binding - run by Vicki, Henry's other grandmother.... what fun it has been!
 But before that... we had a family Þorrablót - (libations to Thor), which marks the beginning of the end of winter...  rotten food to all of you non Icelanders!   This time we kept it small... just us cousins.  Was a really good night!  We actually had this on Wednesday night - Þorri didn't actually start till Friday - but hey, sometimes it's good to have a head start.  Friday - the start of Þorri - is called Bónda dagur - According to the Icelandic on line dictionary 
Icelandic-English
bóndadagur

Husband's Day; Husband's Day; Farmers' Day



The men at work decided to do something special for Bóndadag and all brought in their saddle sacks... Is that what they are called????  with Þorra food and bottles kept in socks.... twas an interesting sight when I came back to work after lunch, they with their saddle bags... thats the word... on the table, bottles of vodka hidden in socks... we also had whiskey during the morning coffee break.  We girls at work felt that we should do something so the boys got a red rose each from us.   Þorri lasts for about a month, then Góa begins... with Konudagur - ladies day..... look forward to seeing what happens then...

 Saturday was day one of the book binding course, a great bunch of people brought together by a wonderful artist and excellent teacher - Vicki....  Here we are checking out other books that Vicki had made and getting ideas for making our covers.
 I do not have an artistic bone in my body - but still managed to make 3 sheets of paper with some stuff on them that would be my cover for my very own hand bound book.
 Unnur and I are the rip, tear, bust sisters, we do most things quickly and with very little attention to detail.  Unnur made a lovely sheet with this piece of plastic table cloth.... really pretty.  
 Day 2 - today, was assembly day....  I was not at my best - having been to a Þorrablót last night and did not get to bed till around 6am, then up at 1pm...  however, I am so pleased with the result!
 Shining up my covers.
 Not bad hey!
 The finished product.... my new guestbook!
 The products of our adventure into art.... I think we were all pretty proud of our bits of handiwork!
Another person Freyja has taken ownership of... Notice who has the better chair...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking at your finished product, you certainly do have some artistic bones!

And Freyja looks so very cute with her toy :)

PS on a random note, have you listened to Sigur Ros? They're from Iceland and I adore them!

Unnur said...

I like our books and the dog and you!!! Thanks for putting up with me and see you soon.....on your 50th!!!

Unnur said...

I like our books and the dog and you!!! Thanks for putting up with me and see you soon.....on your 50th!!!

northern musings said...

Yes Glenna SigurRós are from Iceland - they live in the south near Reykjavik and have a studio in Mosfellsbæ just outside of the capital. I am soo proud of my book, which is now my guest book for the coming years...

Sister dear... we'll see about the 50th... I need to win lotto!