Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look what they can do when they stick together. ~Vista M. Kelly

 We've had a little bit of weather here on the rock in the last two days, two days that I spent in bed with a cold/flu thingy happening - I think I chose the right two days of the year to stay indoors.
 The snow provides me with natural curtains and an added sense of cosyness.
 I still had a dog that needed walking so I donned snow pants and big down jacket over my pyjamas and took her out to see what nature was doing.
 Snowy walls, this was on the first night, which was followed by a full day of storms and snow, the whole country came to a standstill.  Unnur was stuck in Rvk as no buses or flights were going anywhere inland.  
 She doesn't care though, and as I write this she is sitting on the chair next to me giving me the occasional nudge and whinge about having another walk (she has been outside three times today, once with mum, once with Unnur and once with me.... obviously not enough!)  
 Still it really is a beautiful thing, I love winter, I hate being sick, but when the two happen to happen at the same time - then good.
Hope 2012 is being good for you all!

9 comments:

judith said...

Questions about your house. How thick are your walls and what type of insulation do you have? Are your windows double pane, triple pane? How do you heat your home?

Northern musings said...

It was originally built in 1896 so the original wall is made from a timber frame with probably turf as insulation, at a later date it got an varigated iron cladding, then once it was in dad's ownership it received another layer - this time chicken wire with cement. (Thats the old part of the house) the bit at the front is actually asbestos and probably has some sort of fibre insulation. Most of my windows are now double pain - the ones with 6 window sections, there is still one that is single glass... I am not sure what I am going to do with the back end of the house, so I skipped fixing that one when I did the others. Living in Iceland I am extremely lucky - the heating is provided by geothermal hot water which flows through the radiators in the house at 2litres per something or other... so always very warm and a great place to dry the washing...

Maja said...

It's a real winter over there! Hope you're all better now xox

Anonymous said...

My husky would be so excited to go out in such a big snow! We are not blessed with snow too often in East Tennessee. I long to teach her to pull a sled.

judith said...

Geo-thermal!!!

koreaamigo said...

it seems really cold ! When I read your post, especially "natural curtains", I think you are just to be out of being cold. ^^

Northern musings said...

Kore amigo, thanks for the visit - the cold isn't that bad, not when you are inside and my cold has all but disappeared. Don't you just love the English language with cold as both a noun and an adjective, with totally unrelated meanings.

222 said...

You have the prettiest windows in the world.

222 said...

Wow that info on your house was really interesting. Love the idea of the geothermal water.