Pages

Sunday, April 01, 2012

There's something in every atheist, itching to believe, and something in every believer, itching to doubt. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Second Neurotic's Notebook, 1966

I know that this really had nothing to do with me... but I did ask for it - demanded it - road signs in our town of Sauðárkrókur.  I used to drive out of town to the main sign (that had a map on it) to find out the names of streets and where they were....  Now all the streets in town are well marked.
 My little grand nephew Henry - such a cutie!  Had another great weekend, started on Friday night with Foal curry, Saturday night back of lamb with Olga, Ross, Henry, Ma, Maggi and Árni (complete with a late night out - which was probably not a good idea) and today the confirmation of one of my cousin Gunni's children - Hrafnhildur.
 The confirmation took place in a church at the southern end of the fjord, mum and I were a tad early so we went for a little walk.  It had snowed a little last night, but the weather was quite balmy, it actually felt like spring, there were lots of swans on the paddocks along with a few geese.
 I didn't take any photos during the confirmation - which was a beautiful ceremony and reminded me of my own confirmation 37 years ago.  Icelanders are mostly of the Lutheran religion, our confirmation occurs on our 13th year.  It's all about confirming your baptism in the faith and also is the first holy communion.  Hrafnhildur was confirmed on her own today - I think that there were 24 of us when I was confirmed.  My religious beliefs fluctuate a lot.  I don't like what the church has done in the past or what politicians have done using Christianity as an excuse, but, I do like how I feel in church, I like having a chat with God, - for the atheist just call it my imaginary friend - there is nothing wrong with that is there?  I don't like how it f´´ks people up, makes them doubt themselves and their worth.  Enough ranting, today was a nice day - spent with the nicest of people.
 Hrafnhildur's grandparents are Siggi and my mum's sister Maja, here she is wearing the Icelandic national dress.  Siggi is almost blind - but you can still see the admiration in his stance.  They had 9 children - I have no idea how many grandchildren and now the great grandkids are arriving by the handful.  The majority of them were there today.
 Such great kids, they had a long table to themselves, it was so nice to see how well they all get on - these kids aren't just related - they are friends.  So nice.
 One of the lovely ones is Kristin Maria... such a lovely person.
 Here is Hrafnhildur and her mum Svanhildur.  Hrafn = crow/raven and Svan = Swan  and according to the dictionary hildur means battle.  So here we have ravenbattle and swanbattle.
 After the confirmation dinner - we went to another - this time at my nephew Maggi's place, he grilled a leg of lamb on the barbie..... see the snow.... it started snowing while we were at the confirmation.... Winter is back in Iceland.
And... to finish off... the most charming man in Skagafjörður... Henry with his great gran.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The photo of Siggi and Maja made me smile! Lovely post. I like the quote you used, I feel the same with my relationship with God, I often pray for more faith.