Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Any committee that is the slightest use is composed of people who are too busy to want to sit on it for a second longer than they have to. ~Katharine Whitehorn

It's been a busy busy week and a bit in the land of Ice.  Well, especially here in the north.  To brighten everything up on the weekend we had lummudagar.  This is the second year that this has been done - and I think that it is here to stay.  Friday night was a fire and singing down by the waters edge, remember last year - when Troy went swimming for a ball???  No such heroics this year.

In other news mum bought herself a mobile home... Needs a new paint job - but according to those that know it was a good buy.  So, expect me ma and the dog to be on the road for the rest of summer and autumn.  
Some random people enjoying the evening outside Kaffi Krók.  As you can see the them is blue for the old town.


Meanwhile back in the garden we had a family grill party with the neighbours from across the way.  Twas all very civilised with table clothes and cutlery.

Bjössi and Rúna and Atli Björn.  Uncle Bjössi had just come back from Reykjavik where the doctors had been having a shot at doing some prodding and cutting.  So far there is no definitive news on the situation - but he is as he always is stoic and the loveliest man (next to dad he is the best!)

As the evening progressed the drinking slowed down - see no alcohol on the table.... 

During the height of the festivities folk piling into the old town to check out the wares.


Mum is currently on holidays - yes mum goes on holidays away from me and Freyja.  It is organised by a fund that is specifically for housewives.  Anyone who has ever been an unpaid wife and mother is eligible to apply and go on holidays for a very good price - 15.000 ISK for 3 nights away from home complete with food and accommodation and organised tours.  I think that she is somewhere near Borganes checking out the western bits of iceland.

5 comments:

judith said...

I just totally forgot all the comments I was going to write when I read that housewives get a vacation!!! That's INGENIOUS! I would have never gone back to work if we'd had that here. Good grief I went back to work to take a break from all the stuff I did at home.

Cool motor home!

olga said...

I love that your profile has the lummudagur theme, too!

Mobile home looks great, I'll help you paint it! What do you say to red stripes and rainbows?

Aw, I hope Bjössi is okay. Send him my love!
xx

Maja said...

Wow, it seems so weird now how it's always daylight! Nice mobile home, now all Amma needs is to learn to drive!

Northern musings said...

Amma will not be learning to drive. Well not while she has a private chauffeur and we care about the well being of her and others on the roads of Iceland. She got back from her vacation tonight all refreshed, had a great time. It is so amazing outside at the moment Maja - almost 11pm and the sun is shining and it is still around 15° (remember when that temp was considered warm - I still haven´t figured this out - how come I can wear sandals and short sleaves in Iceland with 15° and I am freezing to death in my lopapeysa in Aus at the same temp.... I NEED an explanation!)

tsduff said...

Always a joy to read your blog. But I don't know what lummudagur means :( I love to see your humble home filled with family and friends... I remember when you put your lawn in.