Pages

Sunday, June 06, 2010

There are two types of fisherman - those who fish for sport and those who fish for fish. ~Author Unknown

It was seafarers day today, however, this being Skagafjordur the main celebration was on Saturday (this way they can have a big dinner/dance and drinking night after the fun at the harbour).  As a part of the day lots of weird and wonderful fish are put on display - including a shark - the one that we then cure for 6 months and tastes disgusting and is full of ammonia.  
In other news Freyja has developed a taste for red wine - no not really, however she did want to make sure that the box got in the picture.  
As a part of the celebrations there is a rowing race between the different trawlers, the fire department and the rescue service.  Klakkur (a trawler) won this year.
Not only are things happening outside - there is also a coffee buffet to raise money for the emergency services (search and rescue) Lots and lots of yummy cakes and breads.  I went with Jóhanna and Finnur and little Halli - he is such a cute kid! 
Tonight we had the family dinner at my place, served up foal curry and a leg of lamb for the less adventurous. Twas rather nice - even if I say so myself!  
Another good weekend about to come to an end.  The start of another week and another adventure.  Life is good - hope it's good for you too!

10 comments:

judith said...

OK, leg of lamb would be quiet adventurous for us here in Texas. The only horse curry that goes on here is when we brush a horse down. That's also called currying a horse.

olga said...

Oh my God, 'currying a horse' just made my day.

Looks like you guys are having a great time!
xx

northern musings said...

Love the fact that a roast leg of lamb is considered adventurous! Had left over curry for dinner tonight. Twas quote nice.

judith said...

Now when I hear curry I'm going to neigh.... I think a curry comb is all I have left of my tack from when I had a horse. Maybe I still have my spurs.

Olla said...

svo skemmtilegt blogg :) gaman að öllum myndunum líka :)

northern musings said...

Hey Jomamma if ever you venture here to the far north I promise to introduce you to the other major value of the horse... not only can you ride on it, herd sheep or cattle or brush it down... you can also eat it... roasted, curried in a chili... whatever.. As much as it sounds off - it actually is very good. Mind you, I think I would only ever eat Icelandic horse in Iceland and never horse anywhere else.....
Olla... gaman að sjá þig hér! og takk reyni mitt besta að láta fólkið heima í ástralíu vita hvað er um að vera hér á litlu eyjunni í norðri.

judith said...

You know it's all I can do to eat beef, pork, fish or chicken. I would probably pass on the Icelandic horse.

Maja said...

Wow, it's all daylight outside instead of night time at dinner. Forgot how I miss that.

tsduff said...

I forgot how much I enjoy reading your blog - though I would chow down the lamb heartily, I would probably pass on the curried foal. I didn't know Icelanders ate their horses.

Northern musings said...

Thanks for that - yeh, we breed them, ride them and eat them... They were the best servant a nation could have and still are a necessary part of life in Iceland and most horse breeders see nothing wrong in having a foal roast every now and then. (probably at the same time worrying about whether they actually slaughtered the true gæðingi - ie that special horse...) It brings back a sense of reality to us as humans, meat eating top of the current heirarchical structure.