Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him. ~Abraham Lincoln

Today is the 17th of June, Iceland's national day of Independence, it's been 66 years since we took our indenpendence from the Danes.  You see we had to take it as they were then being occupied by the Germans and so really had no say in the matter.  Today, ironically, the EU is discussing Icelands application to join that group of fragmented countries.  My personal belief is that there is no need, under the EES agreement we have all we really need.  But that is another story.  



To start the day mum and I went up to the cemetery to put flowers on dad´s grave.. and for those in the know the potato has been planted!
As you can see the weather today was classic, so I took ma and the dog for a long drive and we enjoyed being alive in Skagafjordur on a beautiful summers day.
The lovely Sauðá valley - somewhere i would like to take a long walk this summer.. Can´t wait for holidays!

mums little rock garden - so nice!

Then we went to the formal celebrations down at the sports oval.  The chief of police and assistant!  Don´t they look spiffy!

The maddams were there and mum.

Cousin Alli and family - I just don't see these people enough. 
and to end the evening there was an outdoor concert across the road.... which is still going on.  


Night folks and happy days!

3 comments:

judith said...

Beautiful pictures.

olga said...

Ha ha, love that fight for independence - no real war or anything, just wait til the Danes are busy and declare it!

Potato?

Ooh, we should do that long walk when Mum and I are over in August! I just got off the phone with her, and we're both so excited about it!

Amma's garden looks lovely, so bright and beautiful and summery!
Great post - made me smile.
xx

Vicki said...

Yes I have to agree with you, my gut feeling is that Iceland does not need to join the EU, the agreement in place is enough...however this is instinct talking as I do not know the ins and outs of all this.

The weather looks truly wonderful and Kristinn's garden is gorgeous...I think winter will be coming by the time I get back there.

Miss you all!

P.S. Blog looks summery too!