Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

To silence another, first be silent yourself. ~Latin Proverb

No photos today.

Firstly twas a sad farewell (on my part) to Nick yesterday.  I feel so bad about just not having been there or done enough for him while he was here - I blame it on politics - but that is not really true - the blame lies in my being a slack b.... and should have and could have done more!  Nephew Nick is one of those truely beautiful people that you sometimes have a chance of encountering in your life.  Such a gentle sweet soul that is there without you realising it.  A person that doesn´t need to assert himself - he is who he is -  I think if the Dalai Lama was looking for a replacement he should have a chat to Nick.  I know I am ranting, but people like him are so few and far between - and as a result so difficult to describe or explain... they just are...

Let's try another angle...

Have you ever met someone that you instantly like - for no reason.  Being around them is comfortable - there is no need for unnecessary talk, they don't talk about themselves, unless directly asked, they listen to you - like really listen and respond when necessary - and the responses are always well thought - never flippant.  They genuinely seem to enjoy life and all that it brings.

Yeh, I know rant... sorry, but he is a wonderful person!  Hope he realises this!

In other news, council meeting yesterday..  Hmmm.. what can I say.  I am a member of the majority that is trying to destroy democracy - well that is the twist from the opposition.

Short explanation.  Most committees have 3 sitting members 2 from the majority and 1 from the minority.  During the last coalition run there were two parties in the minority so they let the party that wasn´t getting a seat in the standing committees a chance to have a sitting member in the committee with no voting rights but a chance to voice their opinion and make bookings in the minutes etc.  Well this time round there are three parties in the minority.  what they now demand is that the tradition continues and that all parties are represented in all standing committees.  So you have 2 from the majority and 1 from the minority with voting rights plus 2 more from the minority with the right to speak and make bookings.    (there are far too many people who love to be in committees and attend meetings me thinks)... then add to this that if you are a member of the minority without voting rights - should you choose to attend a meeting you will be paid 10.000 kr (AUD 100) not bad for a couple of hours of sitting and listening and having a point of view.... call me sceptical.  I wonder what is more important the chance to have a say, the chance to disrupt or the fact you get paid to be there.....

Needless to say me voicing my opinion here may end up back in my face in a couple of seconds time.  But hey, my opinion. my blog,  and hey who knows what the motives are behind other peoples actions - I certainly don't - I just have an opinion..

2 comments:

olga said...

Aw, no apologies necessary for the Nick love, he's a great guy! So glad he got to spend some time in S'krok.

Council meeting sounds stressful, but I know you can make some good come of it! Stand your ground, you can do it, woo!
x

Maja said...

Mist people will do anything to get paid so I see why you would feel cynical about it but then again people go into politics for the opportunity to voice their opinions so maybe they do just want their views to be heard and noted.

You know I think the nice thing about visiting Iceland is that it's just cool to be there, you don't necessarily have to do heaps of sightseeing to appreciate it. I'm sure Nick enjoyed the cultural immersion.