Pages

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness. ~Chinese Proverb

Night is settling in in Iceland. The full moon the other night brought some relief added with a little snow, since then, the snow has melted and so the darkness is quite overwhelming.

Ice is forming on all the puddles and so the going is sometimes quite hard, especially if there is a thin layer of snow on top of the ice...

There is a new quay being built just down from my place, which means that walks with Freyja are now longer - we get to walk out on the quay and bark at the ducks, this is a view back to the lit pathway up to the cemetary.

In other news... we still get a couple of hours of daylight a day so I went and took some photos of places that I now only see in the dark. Working out of town means that I only see my locale in daylight on weekends. Here we can see some of the work that has begun at Kaffi Krók, a new foundation for the northern end. The concrete is being set under winter concrete bags.

This is a view from the new quay over to the new KS garage, and such is the weather at the moment - very grey.

a quick shot of how far out they have come - apparently the entrance to the harbour will be only around 80m.

The weekend has been quite busy, Friday night a few folk over for pizza, Saturday night Skúli´s big 50th birthday bash, today the elderly folks choir combined with the kammerkór - the choir I went to the Faroes with. Actually really quite good fun. Then tonight we went and picked up the cross stitch that I have spent more than half a life time finishing... It was one of those things that I would start and leave and start and leave and getting it framed has taken a decade, 9 years of me not taking it to a framer and 1 year spent at the framers..... It is really quite hideous, but there is a lot of blood sweat and tears in this, I think I got the pattern when I was 14 (got it from mum... she was going to do it when she was young), then the threads when I was 18 and the first stitch was made when I was 21. I finished it sometime in the 90´s - and here it is...







7 comments:

Maja said...

Wow it's huge! I would frame and hang it too if I were you. It's not hideous, anyway.

I've been thinking about my cross stitch a lot. I'm going to do some this morning, though I really need to shower and wash my hair.

Seems incredibly wintery over there. Interesting the progress that is occurring in town.

I've been thin

Maja said...

No, I haven't been thin.
Note, I said I was THINKING about my cross stitch a lot. It sits out where I can see it. But I haven't DONE much of it.

Northern musings said...

Always something happening in S'krók...
And I am sure you have been thin...king...
My current project is christmas cards - I am doing 3d ones this year - really kitchy.

Maja said...

Cool! That reminds me I should start mine. Mine are bought, however. From the Flying Doctors.

judith said...

Ya'll sound like my sister and I... but we don't live halfway across the world from each other.

I have the frames and I've blocked the last three cross stitch pieces that my mom made. You have inspired me to get them framed this week. Your work is awesome.

tsduff said...

Well goodness gracious, of COURSE it took a while to complete, it is gigantic! We are all just jealous because we didn't do such a thing ourselves!

I know how fond of the Coffee place that burned... I hope that when it is completed it is all you envision for a cozy cup of coffee once again :D

As usual, your pictures are amazing, and I love every one.

Northern musings said...

Thanks Jomamma and Duff, I myself think that it is hideous, but as I said, I think that it is hideous. Still its here, it's on the wall. Now everything is about getting ready for Christmas... lights lights lights... love it