Pages

Friday, November 07, 2008

Every beginning is a consequence - every beginning ends some thing. ~Paul Valery


A rather monumental week for S'krók. Kaffi Krók, Michelsens, Sýslumannshúsið was torn down. I had the day off due to the fact that i decided breakfast was not going to remain in my stomach, so when the dog demanded an outing I took the camera and documented the destruction.

It is not really visible here but they did try and keep the southern end in tact - removing the northern addition (left on the photo), this is because the southern end (on the right) was to be preserved or at least tried to be reserved.


the northern end... me trying to see if gunnþóras doors were still there (they are of cultural significance - believe me.. finger paint on doors.. yes it is something to preserve).. anywhoo, i saw no doors just the artwork on the walls.


this morning.. it was all gone.. . not good...

I should explain, the southern end if kept a little in tact was under preservation law and so in rebuilding would not need to comply with EU regulations and funds would have been forthcoming for rebuilding in the original style, now that nothing is left, there are not as many options for outside funding. My opinion is that the house was a mess and some contingency plans should have been done months ago, but hey, who am I?

Going to work, fog was settling in to all low lying areas.. we had a sunny day at holar but apparently the fog was quite thick in S´Krók

the video of the dog, that has taken for ever to load - which eventually did not load is not worth watching, unless you like to see a dog chase an empty bottle of coke around a house and also only if you want to see the amount of dog hair on the floor... I wish I was more like maja and enjoyed the vacuum cleaner... sadly like my dog I hate the sound of suction.

6 comments:

Margarita Mirasol said...

I quite like the sound of suction but that's just one of my little quirks.

They made a right mess of that house, didn't they.

olga said...

Aw, no Kaffi Krók! It's a shame about the preservation thing, it must be harder than ever to get funding for building things...

I actually kinda miss seeing dogs running around being silly. Squirrels just aren't the same.
x

tsduff said...

Not only do we hate the sound of the vacuum cleaner, but the hair laying about the house is also a grim and very sad reminder of our recent loss. Since losing our big dog Tobin two weeks ago, life has not settled back to being the same, as we keep finding his dog hairs everywhere. When we vacuum, so lies the inner container waiting to be emptied of all its pumpkin colored Tobin hair... we miss him so much.

Also, so sorry about the ongoing story of your Coffee house loss ;(

Maja said...

You could try ear plugs? I haven't vacuumed since yesterday although the house definitely needs a vacuum right now, but gin and tonic prevails.

Seems to me that the operator of the excavator might have been a bit inept. One can be extremely delicate with those things.

Maybe you should open a new pub when you finish your job. S'krok certainly needs one more!

Northern musings said...

Oh ts that is so sad, my heartfelt sympathy to you and yours. I don´t want to think about not having Freyja´s dog hairs (annoying now - but I know I will miss them if I didn´t haver her any more).
It wasn´t the excavators fault, he had kept the bottom bit in tact quite well, it seems that once all the rest was done, the owner just thought or rather didn´t think, and went ahead and got him to tear the whole lot down.

Maja said...

Oh..