Pages

Friday, October 31, 2008

Are those the magic fairy wands glistening on the tree or only winter icicles that I see? Author unknown


You know how it's been snowing here. Well, the weather has turned. Now we are in the plusses and all the snow is melting away... not good. Anyway, see my house in the above picture and the big icicles coming down off the roof... Grýlukerti (Grýla is a troll and kerti means candles).. Anywho...

They started to slant inwards as you see above - you can also see that one of the windows is open (it always is, it is one of two windows in my house that can be easilly opened and closed)... anywho......

This is the repair job - an icicle went straight the glass and left a rather remarkable hole... These windows are all being replaced next summer (6 pained double glazed), but in the meantime I guess I am actually going to have to get new glass for it..... Mind you the rosemount casks do make a statement.

And finally the snow angels. Freyja is actually being a major pain in the neck at the moment. She is malting and by that I mean huge chunks of hair are coming off her and coating every conceivable surface in the house - including me and all my clothes...


5 comments:

Margarita Mirasol said...

I can't believe an icicle did that. Are you sure it wasn't a drive-by shooting?

Lovely snow angel.
:)

olga said...

What a time to start moulting and lose your fluffy warmth! Your dog is silly, but cute enough to make up for it.

x

Maja said...

So did the icicle break the whole pane or just put a hole in it? If it's just a hole maybe you could just get a smaller piece of glass and glue it onto the window.

If freyja was in my house I'd probably just have the vacuum cleaner on permanent standby. I'd vacuum her too, but that's just me. I vacuum all the time when I'm at home. I should probably start a no shoes inside policy or something, but crap always blows in from the backyard as well since we only have french doors there and no fly screen.

The icicles must have been blown inwards by wind or something. It's so awesome that you're documenting everything in the blog, so nice to see the photos!

Hey, are you still working, or have you retired now?

tsduff said...

Your icicle through the window is amazing! We have icicles like that (long) at our cabin in the mountains... but they never curve inward like that toward the window!

I once made my very first snow angel: We found some snow that looked soft and pristine: I fell backwards to make my angel and almost died when I konked my head so hard ... it was not a soft snowfield but instead was a parking lot above asphalt with only 1 inch of snow above!

rob said...

Tee Hee tsduff I once performed an "eskimo roll" in my folding Kiack (canoe) for the delectation of a group of young girls (to impress them ! No, never not me :o)) ?) as my shoulder hit the water at the beginning of the roll it also hit something else. the bottom and there I laid floundering to get out of the canoe and walk rather bedraggled back to the bank! Show off I heard mutterd for afar as I slunk off
:o((