Pages

Monday, October 13, 2008

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional. ~Chili Davis



So today I turned 46.


Born 13 October 1962 in Sauðárkrókur, Iceland. My first home after the hospital was the house that I am living in today. The circle is complete.

I had a great day today - it started with me farewelling my wonderful cousin Jóhanna - who is on her way to Australia to stay a month with my sister - they will have a great time I know. Then after a bit more of a lie in (I took the day off - figuring that I did not want to have any crap on my birthday - totally selfish - but sometimes you just have to have a pyjama day) I took Freyja for a walk, not a long walk - not a short walk - but a walk. Came home - reheated the left over pizza from last night #99 + olives, during which time Guðný and Brýndís came over to wish me a happy birthday and gave me some great new gloves - which you can see on the gruesome photo above. Guðný bought them in Greenland so need I tell you that they are sealskin?

I then went and took the bottles and cans to re-cycling and received 1200 isk. Not bad, can buy a semi decent bottle of red with that. As Freyja was acting rather frisky we drove down to the beach at the base of the fjord for a bit of a run in the very very very cold breeze. Got noticed by my uncle and aunt who stopped for a chat, then shops for food for dinner and a call in at Herdís´s shop - where my aunt Auður happened to be shopping. Once she realised that today was my birthday - she wished me happy birthday for tomorrow - she rushed to the florist and bought me some roses

Aren't they pretty?
After this I went back to Herdís's to start my winter project - the painting of a ceramic lighthouse. I am going to try and make it look like one of the lighthouses from the coast near Hamburg.... wish me luck.
It was so much fun, Herdís now has a work table in the centre of the shop for folks like me to work on their "little projects" while I was there heaps of people came into the store. It was then that I realised that I have become a part of the community here - I knew at least 2 people out of 3 that came in and those I did not know knew who I was. Bit surreal - but I am now used to it and really kind of like it. It was getting close to six when I phone Maggi to find out if he would be at a meeting tonight or coming to dinner at my place - yes, he was going to a meeting but would I like to go to dinner at Ólafshús in honour of the occasion - yippee... free dinner!!! Rushed home - put on my new shirt that his mum gave me yesterday and had a great meal of newly slaughtered skagfirskt lamb... yummmm washed down with a bottle of Wolf Blass Shiraz - what could be better.
So as you can see - I have had a great day - thank you all!!
Just to end this all with a bit of reality and also for posterity (mine so I can remember what a dreadful scar face I am today - a photo of me)
Really must do something about that face!

9 comments:

Margarita Mirasol said...

O Tanjobi Omedeto

Happy Birthday!

Great post.
Tell me, how many cans and bottles are needed to get enough isk for some wine? I might move to Iceland. Drink to recycle to drink. I won't need to work.
Hallso, I nearly bought a bottle of Blass Shiraz y'day. How was it? I like 'thick' wines. Was it 'thick'?

Hallso, you all look so similar. I totally see Maja in you. The eyes, cheeks. And then those old pics you posted.

My family is odd in that we all look quite different. I am the spitting image of gramps and some of mum but don't at all look like any cousin or sister.
I think my roots are in Russia or some Eastern European country. Grampy was the result of a one-night stand that his mum had with a guy in a travelling circus. I guess he was a Romany. So I think my face has some features that you Icelandic folks have, too. The full cheeks, for example.

You have a nice face. And nice seal gloves, too.

I'm glad you had a wonderful day full of friends and a dog and presents and good food and wine.

judith said...

Happy Birthday!!! I was about your age when I started taking the day before, the day of and the day after my birthday off from work... same reason as you.. don't want any 'you're over the hill' decor in my office. The good thing about is they seem to loose track of your real age that way. They still think I'm only 46! Nice gloves, beautiful flowers and have a wonderful day.

Margarita Mirasol said...

Ha ha. That's a great idea, Judith.
Thing is, in Japan, folks ignore b'days. They are soooooooooooooooo boring.
They take all the fun out of a lot of stuff. More energy put into fun, instead of munching on rice crackers, that's what I say.

Maja said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Love the gloves!

It's a good feeling when you realise you've become part of where you live. Sounds like you've had the best day. May the next year be one of the best, too!

Love you lots xoxoxoxoxooxoxox

PS don't be so hard on yourself. You look great!

Maja said...

Oh yeah, I was going to say those roses are absolutely gorgeous. Flowers are brilliant.

olga said...

The roses are lovely! I'm glad one of the two florists got some business, too :)
Mmm, #99 with olives. Have I told you about the £1 pizza they've got just around the corner from us? It's a far cry from Olafshus prices, that's for sure!

Sounds like a great day, I'm really glad you're so happy in the krok! Can't wait to see you guys again!
love olga

Northern musings said...

Maria - thank you! I think that you would fit in quite well here in Iceland - look wise - you probably look more nordic than me and maja - us not being blondes....
Jomamma - thank you so much for your kind wishes, I think I will take you habit up - I had actually planned to take the whole week off but someone at the office got in before me. However, I will probably be having my revenge on them as I am coming down with a crappy cold which means days off with chicken soup!
Thanks Maja, knew I could count on you to try and stop my pityparty. I was enjoying it- all my fault ofcourse cos I can not get out of the habit of scratching at my face until I have formed a pit of somesort.. I put some pawpaw cream on it last night before bed and I think that this is helping... I love this place and I think you should come visit soon!!!
Olga they are nice aren´t they - they even smell! Can´t wait for Christmas - it´s the only bright thing on the horizon... Need to work out what to make you and Ross.... maybe I will take up quilting again and make you a rug out of my old jeans (joke)

judith said...

I book my birthday as soon as we start school that way when May rolls around no one gets in my way. Last year I even took off for my sister's birthday.

Margarita Mirasol said...

You're being very cryptic on my blog tonight...what you drinking? Fermented foal kava?
He he he.