Pages

Friday, October 17, 2008

Silent gratitude isn't much use to anyone. ~G.B. Stern

My gorgeous niece maja http://fortheloveofrocks.blogspot.com/ just did a brilliant little bit about what she is thankful for and I thought to myself we should all, once in a while, take stock and yes - be grateful.

So I am going to list the things that I am most thankful for:

1. My mum
2. My dog
(aren´t they gorgeous)
3. Being able to live on this lovely rock in the North Atlantic (and for having had the opportunity to live on an even larger Rock in the Southern Sea), I hope that the IMF and the Russians can be kept at bay and that somehow we muddle our way through the current crisis. Time for Iceland to become self-sufficient.

4. My family - all of them - this is only one half of one half (fathers side but not everyone present).

5. The sense of history and community that I have living in this town. This is a picture of my dad and his mates (dad is the middle - great hat hey!) The photo is from the local archives.

6. The fact that I was able to close the circle and live in the house that I lived in before moving to Australia

7. My friends - both far and wide - I started to count them out - the people that I have met and befriended and am still in touch with from Primary to today - but that made no sense, I know them and they know me and I am truly blessed to have such wonderful people around me whether literally here in Iceland or spiritually wherever they are in the world. I know that when we catch up it is always like we only saw each other yesterday.


8. That I have no debt to speak of.
No money - but no debt either.
9. For all the jobs I have had; past, present and future - I have been blessed with good employers, excellent colleagues and the best bosses and I am positive that in the future I will continue to have good jobs, great colleagues and great bosses.
I think like Maja I will leave it at that. - that was fun, bit cheesy but fun. I highly recommend it.

6 comments:

Margarita Mirasol said...

This post turned me into a 'Softy With A Ketch' cos it brought tears to my eyes. Not sure why. Might be the Advil I took last night.
Anyway, just want to say that all those points are wonderful and I do love your house painted red, it looks so much different to before.
And the pic of your father's side of the family; made me think about my own family but how they are a total bunch of 'never get together for a big picture' cold-hearted selfish gits, [oops sorry, but it's true] so I love seeing other families showing what families should really be about, so yah, that pic made me weepy.....plus it was interesting to see Iceland from a satellite point of view and the currency, too.

So all in all, a wonderful post, a meaningful post and one that your friends and family will really enjoy reading.

Margarita Mirasol said...

p.s love that old pic of your dad.

olga said...

Aw, that was lovely! I can't remember whether I remembered to comment on Maja's, but both of those made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

You know, you and Maja are the family I've had the most contact with lately via this whole blog thing, and I'm really glad that I'm related to, and friends with, two such wise, positive, inspirational and beautiful women.
Go you guys!
love olga x

Northern musings said...

Oh, Olga and Maria - now I have tears in my eyes. So sweet. Ah yes we are truly blessed

Margarita Mirasol said...

Awwwwww. A few days later and I come back for a revisit and you guys have got me all weepy again.
:)

Maja said...

I was on the rig all weekend (took videos for a post but left it at home today - will post tonight) so I didn't see this til now......
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
Yay for taking stock of things and appreciating them. Life can be so great.

And Olga, awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, takk somuleidis, you go too girl!

Love you guys heaps xoxox